CPU Binning

Tip us?

nad4321
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default CPU Binning

Hi guys!
I have been reading about CPU Binning and I'm still a bit lost.
What is the difference between processors with different PSV? Does it have to do with quality or speed of the processors?
Or is it how they can handle lower voltages?
What are the advantages of having a PSV of 5 or 6? Any disadvantage?
Any advantage of having a PSV of 0,1 or 2?
Furthermore, is there a big difference at all in battery life and performance?
Cheers!

Hammer_Of_The_Gods
Old
(Last edited by Hammer_Of_The_Gods; 2nd January 2014 at 10:22 AM.) Reason: typo
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 4452
Hi,

Why not post HERE

This kind of question have a reply in the last page for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=441.

Quote:
What is the difference between processors with different PSV? Does it have to do with quality or speed of the processors? Speed no, quality not really, it depends if a different CPU binning can be called different quality between one or other?.
Or is it how they can handle lower voltages? It's this...
What are the advantages of having a PSV of 5 or 6? Any disadvantage? In theory you should undervolt more since these pvs_bin are the higher (with the 7 one), I see no disadvantage.
Any advantage of having a PSV of 0,1 or 2? Less undervolting, in theory..., advantage/disavdvantage it depends if you undervolt
Furthermore, is there a big difference at all in battery life and performance? Performance not really, even if less voltage produce less heat in high load, also in theory. Same thing about battery life, less voltage, blablabla...
I have a pvs_bin 1, I don't undervolt (because I had never see a real and noticeable improvement by undervolting, there is more and better to do for battery life in my opinion and with my tests) and I have no issue in term of battery life with why use nor in term of performance (raw performance, in benchs for example) or heat, etc...

Take a look here for undervolting: Nexus 5 Undervolting thread.

But the best is to try by yourself to see what your CPU can handle or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
The OP is the best place to keep a secret because nobody reads it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer_Of_The_Gods For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nad4321
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking37 View Post
Hi,

Why not post HERE

This kind of question have a reply in the last page for example: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=441.

I have a pvs_bin 1, I don't undervolt (because I had never see a real and noticeable improvement by undervolting, there is more and better to do for battery life in my opinion and with my tests) and I have no issue in term of battery life with why use nor in term of performance (raw performance, in benchs for example) or heat, etc...

Take a look here for undervolting: Nexus 5 Undervolting thread.

But the best is to try by yourself to see what your CPU can handle or not...

Thank you!
In your opinion what is the best way to save battery life?