Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,296 Members 53,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cracked Screen Repair

Tip us?

night8388
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cracked Screen Repair

Recently cracked my nexus 5 screen and I'm thinking about sending it to US lg (from here in Canada) for screen repair. Has anyone been in a similar situation and what's the best way to handle this?

whozilla
Old
(Last edited by whozilla; 21st January 2014 at 11:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 25
Iv seen a few threads on this. Lg should charge about $150 USD the LCD and glass are fuzed together so you will need to replace the entire front panel. The part costs 100-150. If you are lucky you'll find it for 100 bucks. Its very easy to replace it yourself. But to have it replaced for $150 by the manufacturer is a no brainer for now. That is for the next for months. The cost of this part will go down for sure. I predict around 80-100 by may.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to whozilla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kgeissler
Old
Thanks Meter 61
I had the screen on my Nexus 4 repaired through LG. It cost me $140 and they just sent me a new device. Took about a week from the time I sent it till I got my new one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to kgeissler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

night8388
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Alright. Guess I'll wait a tad longer until the prices drop. Thank you guys for the infos.

whozilla
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by night8388 View Post
Alright. Guess I'll wait a tad longer until the prices drop. Thank you guys for the infos.
Not that we helped at all. But there is a thank button :thumbup:

The Following User Says Thank You to whozilla For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jj14
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by whozilla View Post
Iv seen a few threads on this. Lg should charge about $150 USD the LCD and glass are fuzed together so you will need to replace the entire front panel. The part costs 100-150. If you are lucky you'll find it for 100 bucks. Its very easy to replace it yourself. But to have it replaced for $150 by the manufacturer is a no brainer for now. That is for the next for months. The cost of this part will go down for sure. I predict around 80-100 by may.

I have been waiting for the Nexus 7 screen+digitizer cost to go down for over 6-7 months now - no luck yet. I'm not sure the Nexus 5 will be any different. If it does, great, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.