Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,990 Members 37,147 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Crazy Wallpaper Issues[Q]

Tip us?

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q]Crazy Wallpaper Issues[Q]

This is starting to really frustrate me now!

When applying a background to my phone, weather it be from the Gallery or integrated wallpapers, sometimes it will jump around on the homescreen. For example I will be in an app, press the home button and on going to the home screen the wallpaper will momentarily zoom in then zoom back out to normal. As this is happening the phone has excessive lag.

I've tried to isolate the issue, thought it might be a bad factory reset but my sister is over this weekend and hers is the same! it doesn't happen when running any applications in particular, it's literally random but when it starts doing it it will keep doing it. Restarting the phone doesn't fix.
Current Device: HTC One (M8)

Previous Devices

LG: G2, Nexus 5

Apple: iPhone 5 (Black & White 16 & 32GB), iPhone 5S (Space Gray 32 & 64GB, Gold 16GB), iPad 3

Samsung: Galaxy S2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Note 3

HTC: Desire, Desire HD, Mozart, Sensation, Sensation XE, One X, One Fanboy

Sony: Xperia Arc, Xperia Z1

Blackberry: Z10

Nokia: Lumia 925

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 387

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaystott View Post
This is starting to really frustrate me now!

When applying a background to my phone, weather it be from the Gallery or integrated wallpapers, sometimes it will jump around on the homescreen. For example I will be in an app, press the home button and on going to the home screen the wallpaper will momentarily zoom in then zoom back out to normal. As this is happening the phone has excessive lag.

I've tried to isolate the issue, thought it might be a bad factory reset but my sister is over this weekend and hers is the same! it doesn't happen when running any applications in particular, it's literally random but when it starts doing it it will keep doing it. Restarting the phone doesn't fix.
What ROM and wallpaper?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Device List: Sanyo Katana < UTStarcom Arc < LG Optimus S < HTC Evo LTE < Nexus 5
Nexus 5: SOKP (Private Build)
Kernel: ElementalX

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by numel007 View Post
What ROM and wallpaper?

My bad, should have mentioned. Both of us are 100% stock, just checked my mums is doing it too. Any wallpaper, it doesn't matter.

Previous Devices

Apple: iPhone 5 (Black & White 16 & 32GB), iPhone 5S (Space Gray 32 & 64GB, Gold 16GB), iPad 3

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 387

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
My bad, should have mentioned. Both of us are 100% stock, just checked my mums is doing it too. Any wallpaper, it doesn't matter.
Weird. I'm on stock and everything is fine... Try downloading a different launcher for now and see if it still happens. Doesn't have to be permanent, this is just for testing purposes.
Device List: Sanyo Katana < UTStarcom Arc < LG Optimus S < HTC Evo LTE < Nexus 5

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Weird. I'm on stock and everything is fine... Try downloading a different launcher for now and see if it still happens. Doesn't have to be permanent, this is just for testing purposes.
Already tried that too and it doesn't do it. I will try and get a video of it, just depends if they will let me borrow one of their phones.

Previous Devices

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 387

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Already tried that too and it doesn't do it. I will try and get a video of it, just depends if they will let me borrow one of their phones.
Get a logcat too if you can. I probably won't be able to read it, but hopefully somebody with more experience will wander by.

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Get a logcat too if you can. I probably won't be able to read it, but hopefully somebody with more experience will wander by.

I should know this but been out of the game for a long time, how do I go about getting a logcat? Managed to get a video of it, just transferring it to my phone now.

I heard someone else mentioning they were having these issues, they put it down to an update with google Search, however google Search has since been updated and the issues are persisting.

Previous Devices

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 387

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I should know this but been out of the game for a long time, how do I go about getting a logcat? Managed to get a video of it, just transferring it to my phone now.

I heard someone else mentioning they were having these issues, they put it down to an update with google Search, however google Search has since been updated and the issues are persisting.
It's all good. First you'll need adb to be installed. I usually run adb on ubuntu, so I'm not experienced with windows commands.

On ubuntu. open terminal, connect phone, make sure usb debugging is enabled. You'll probably recieve a warning about an RSA fingerprint, which you will accept. Then in terminal, do

sudo su
adb start-server
now cd into whatever directory you want to store your logcat in
Once in the directory, run "adb logcat -v long > wallpaper.txt"
Reporduce the problem
Kill the logcat
Open the text file that was created
Either upload the file or pastebin it and post the link
Done!

jaaystott
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 112

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
It's all good. First you'll need adb to be installed. I usually run adb on ubuntu, so I'm not experienced with windows commands.

On ubuntu. open terminal, connect phone, make sure usb debugging is enabled. You'll probably receive a warning about an RSA fingerprint, which you will accept. Then in terminal, do

sudo su
adb start-server
now cd into whatever directory you want to store your logcat in
Once in the directory, run "adb logcat -v long > wallpaper.txt"
Reporduce the problem
Kill the logcat
Open the text file that was created
Either upload the file or pastebin it and post the link
Done!
Doesn't that require root? Not 100% how to do that though, I used to be pretty good with ADB but unfortunately that was back in the Desire days and I've not really been into rooting since I got my HOX last year I change devices too much. Anyway, here is the video documenting the issue.

http://youtu.be/pBeNpwP5TFQ

Previous Devices

numel007
Old
Thanks Meter 387

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Doesn't that require root? Not 100% how to do that though, I used to be pretty good with ADB but unfortunately that was back in the Desire days and I've not really been into rooting since I got my HOX last year I change devices too much. Anyway, here is the video documenting the issue.

http://youtu.be/pBeNpwP5TFQ
And you said your entire family is experiencing this? Ok go to about phone and tap Build Number a bunch of times. Should activate dev settings. Just see if you can get adb to work at all. I'm not certain whether it requires root or not. It confuses me that your family all has this problem, but it hasn't been reported by the rest of the Nexus 5 users around the world...