App Review: Calculating Your Android Calculator Options

Sure, everyone has a default Calculator and its something that you dont think about … more

MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

[Q] CWM before root

10th January 2014, 01:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone
10th January 2014, 01:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 11,686

22,656 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone

Hi Dear all,

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Thanks everyone

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.
10th January 2014, 03:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Thanks for your kind reply, will try to process without root toolkit!
10th January 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,058

13,327 posts
More
Quote:

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?
10th January 2014, 05:11 PM   |  #5  

22,656 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
10th January 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

13,327 posts
More
That I've not tried, probably not...
10th January 2014, 05:21 PM   |  #7  

22,656 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

That I've not tried, probably not...

Well if it can, it should work. If I remember ill test later

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
10th January 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

13,327 posts
More
Has anyone tried the adb backup on the Nexus 5? I imagine that'd work as a backup solution before unlocking. That or Helium
10th January 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #9  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 124

345 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone

Hi Dear all,

Thanks everyone

Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

Quote:

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

No you can't without first unlocking the bootloader.
10th January 2014, 10:25 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 5,985

4,400 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow

Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

*kitten

The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread