Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,893 Members 42,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CWM before root

Tip us?

Duckone
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] CWM before root

Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone View Post
Hi Dear all,

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Thanks everyone
1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

Duckone
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Thanks for your kind reply, will try to process without root toolkit!

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3014
Quote:

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?
Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10734
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?
No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3014
That I've not tried, probably not...
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10734
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
That I've not tried, probably not...
Well if it can, it should work. If I remember ill test later

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3014
Has anyone tried the adb backup on the Nexus 5? I imagine that'd work as a backup solution before unlocking. That or Helium

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone View Post
Hi Dear all,

Thanks everyone
Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

Quote:
No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible
No you can't without first unlocking the bootloader.

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5892

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.
*kitten

The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]