Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] CWM before root

OP Duckone

10th January 2014, 02:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone
10th January 2014, 02:55 PM   |  #2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,793
 
24,968 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone

Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.
10th January 2014, 04:42 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
18 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.


Thanks for your kind reply, will try to process without root toolkit!
10th January 2014, 05:31 PM   |  #4  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228
 
13,591 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

1) DO NOT USE TOOLKITS. We Think it is better to learn the steps yourself by following teh "how to unlock bootloader" tutorial stuck at top of general forum.

2) If you read the guide in General (see answer 1), you cannot root until you have CWM recovery. So yes, you cna take a backup before root. However, you cannot have CWM until you unlock bootloader, and unlock bootloader wipes device.

Backup solutions all in "How to unlock bootloader" sticky thread in general.

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?
10th January 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #5  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,793
 
24,968 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

2. Wouldn't fastboot boot recovery.img not allow you to make a nandroid backup, or does the nandroid need root access?

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
10th January 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #6  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228
 
13,591 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
That I've not tried, probably not...
10th January 2014, 06:21 PM   |  #7  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,793
 
24,968 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS

That I've not tried, probably not...

Well if it can, it should work. If I remember ill test later

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
10th January 2014, 10:26 PM   |  #8  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Liverpool, Merseyside
Thanks Meter: 3,228
 
13,591 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2010
More
Has anyone tried the adb backup on the Nexus 5? I imagine that'd work as a backup solution before unlocking. That or Helium
10th January 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #9  
BirchBarlow's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 132
 
380 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckone

Hi Dear all,

I am using wug's root toolkit to unlock bootloader, flash CWM and root my N5

However, the quesstion is, can i flash CWM without root by use toolkit? therefore i may make my Nandroid backup before root. Would be any error?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks everyone

Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

No you don't need root to take a nandroid of android. Root only affects android when its running,.giving the user access to the root of the device, but recovery already has that access so no binary required in android.

Can you fastboot boot without unlock? If so then it must be possible

No you can't without first unlocking the bootloader.
10th January 2014, 11:25 PM   |  #10  
Chromium's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 6,166
 
4,400 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow

Ditch the toolkit (save a puppy). Learn about fastboot and adb. Learn about custom recoveries, rooting, and all it entails. Learn how to troubleshoot should you run into any issues. Do your homework first to save yourself the trouble of having to start another "Help I bricked my phone" thread.

*kitten

The Following User Says Thank You to Chromium For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes