Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 51,146 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cyanogenmod: Safe to flash a Kernel...?

Tip us?
VaccaThreeSixteen Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Cyanogenmod: Safe to flash a Kernel...?

Hi everyone,
I know this is probably a really nooby question, but im running the most recent nightly of cyanogenmod and i noticed it has its own kernel under About Phone. I would like to use faux kernel instead. Is it safe to flash faux kernel over the top of it or will it mess things up? Thanks guys!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,388
All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,427
you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,345
Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app
VaccaThreeSixteen Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway
VaccaThreeSixteen Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app
Alright got it. Ill have to go for a CAF kernel, thanks guys!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers View Post
Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway
It's good to be cautious.

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
It's good to be cautious.

right
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!