HTC M9 Roundup: Availability and Prices

The post HTC M9 Roundup: Availability and Prices appeared first on xda-developers. … more

OnePlus Late March AMAA Roundup

The post OnePlus Late March AMAA Roundup appeared first on xda-developers. … more

Galaxy S6 Pricing & Availability Roundup

The post Galaxy S6 Pricing & Availability Roundup appeared first on xda-developers. … more

Are You Excited for USB Type-C on Smartphones?

The post Are You Excited for USB Type-C on Smartphones? appeared first on xda-developers. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

[Q] Cyanogenmod: Safe to flash a Kernel...?

VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #1  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Hi everyone,
I know this is probably a really nooby question, but im running the most recent nightly of cyanogenmod and i noticed it has its own kernel under About Phone. I would like to use faux kernel instead. Is it safe to flash faux kernel over the top of it or will it mess things up? Thanks guys!
10th May 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #2  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 16,074
 
27,608 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
10th May 2014, 10:32 PM   |  #3  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 23,693
 
28,844 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.
10th May 2014, 10:42 PM   |  #4  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 4,381
 
12,367 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Donate to Me
Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app
VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 10:43 PM   |  #5  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway
VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 10:44 PM   |  #6  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app

Alright got it. Ill have to go for a CAF kernel, thanks guys!
10th May 2014, 10:50 PM   |  #7  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 16,074
 
27,608 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway

It's good to be cautious.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
10th May 2014, 10:54 PM   |  #8  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 23,693
 
28,844 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

It's good to be cautious.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

right

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes