FXP Team Delivers Lollipop to Various Xperia Devices!

From all of us here at XDA-Developers, we’d like to wish you Happy Holidays! If … more

Turn Your Camera Into a Live Puzzle Game

The classic sliding puzzle game hasnt changed much, if at all, over the years. Dating all the way … more

Samsung Begins Production of 8 Gb RAM Chips

With the release of Android 5.0, our favorite mobile operating system has become 64-bit ready. … more

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted

It’s less than a week since our recent in-depth analysis of the legal battle over the … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Cyanogenmod: Safe to flash a Kernel...?

OP VaccaThreeSixteen

VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 11:27 PM   |  #1  
Thanks Meter: 0

n/a posts
Hi everyone,
I know this is probably a really nooby question, but im running the most recent nightly of cyanogenmod and i noticed it has its own kernel under About Phone. I would like to use faux kernel instead. Is it safe to flash faux kernel over the top of it or will it mess things up? Thanks guys!
10th May 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,885

25,100 posts
More
All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
10th May 2014, 11:32 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,890

27,503 posts
you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.
10th May 2014, 11:42 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,984

11,365 posts
Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app
VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #5  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

All ROMs have kernels. They can't work without one so this makes the rules of changing kernels with cm no different from any other Rom.

You're right though, it's a really nooby question. I'm not trying to offend but not knowing this means you're not ready for flashing kernels. Please read the sticky threads in Q&A and general to bump your knowledge up to the next level first

Fyi, cm use CAF kernels only so you can only Flash CAF kernels.

Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway
VaccaThreeSixteen
10th May 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #6  

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

you can flash any kernel you want.. but it doesnt mean that itll run. cyanogenmod uses caf for source, the moved away from aosp. so you can flash and run kernels based in caf, not aosp. faux kernel is an aosp kernel, so if you flash it you wont boot up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Yeah, but only flash kernels for the n5. Flashing something else can brick it. If it's a caf based rom flash a caf kernel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA Free mobile app

Alright got it. Ill have to go for a CAF kernel, thanks guys!
10th May 2014, 11:50 PM   |  #7  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,885

25,100 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVickers

Ive read the stickies. I wanted to be cautious because im new to cyanogen and i didnt wanna mess anything up. I was using Cataclysm with Faux so I didnt need to know about CAF kernels back then. Thanks for your help anyway

It's good to be cautious.

10th May 2014, 11:54 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 22,890

27,503 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

It's good to be cautious.

right