Ask a question

No registration required

dd commands not working

OP cwd

9th April 2014, 05:57 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
So I did something stupid without researching it.

I have a factory replacement nexus 5. I though I could just make a backup of my old phone and flash it onto my new one. So I did that. However, I ticked the box for EFS backup, and then I restored my old EFS onto my new phone, which has essentially bricked it.

Before I did that, though, I created a backup of the new phone including its EFS. So as you may have guessed, I'm currently busting my ass trying to recover the data that has been erased. I'm attempting to use this guide

I understand most of what it's attempting to do. I've checked the location of busybox, I've entered these commands hundreds of times now. My issue seems to be dd commands are not working.

For instance,
Quote:

adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/dev/null

returns nothing. I have a cygwin terminal open right now that has been sitting after my last input for 20 minutes. It appears that no dd commands work at all, and I am not sure what the issue could be. Does anyone have any suggestions?
9th April 2014, 07:15 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
I figured it out. My issue with this method was a combination of a non-compatible version of netcat, and an incorrect path to the block/partition which I was trying to mirror.

The correct path to /userdata/ for Nexus 5 devices is /dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmcblk0p28 in case anyone in the future has the same issue.
9th April 2014, 07:51 AM   |  #3  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,885

25,100 posts
More
Yeah careful with this stuff. You were lucky I guess that 10 was rpmb and you couldn't do anything with it.

I've listed all "partitions" here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2534010

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread