Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Found a Dead pixel on N5. Just sent it back to LG for repair/replacement

OP iammrhappy123

6th May 2014, 09:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
I bought a used N5 for 200 bucks on craigslist 2 week ago. worked well.

2 days ago, I found a dead pixel on the center of the screen.

Tested it with a Dead pixel test app. Still there.

Said screw it and sent it back to LG for repair or replacement.

Questions for those who know about what LG does with Repairs/Replacements under warranty

1. Are dead pixels covered on the LG warranty?

2. Will they replace the whole unit or will they just replace the digitizer and the lcd screen?

3. How long did it take for the whole process to be complete: them deciding what the problem is when they get the unit to when I get it back at my door step.


Thanks in advanced.
6th May 2014, 09:51 AM   |  #2  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453
 
4,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
1. Yes, dead pixels are covered under warranty.

2. They will only replace the lcd and digitizer.

3. In India, you have to take the device to the service centre and if they have a lcd in Stock, they replace it on the spot and give you back. If they don't have it in Stock, be ready for a long wait..

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
6th May 2014, 10:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

1. Yes, dead pixels are covered under warranty.

2. They will only replace the lcd and digitizer.

3. In India, you have to take the device to the service centre and if they have a lcd in Stock, they replace it on the spot and give you back. If they don't have it in Stock, be ready for a long wait..

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

Thanks for the reply!

I just sent it today to a repair center in the US. Hopefully they have supplies for the LCD and digitizer.

The phone was in good condition. The LCD screen had an area of wear where the previous owner did a lot of gaming I believe, so that kind of got in the way of me dragging icons around and scrolling through screens.
6th May 2014, 11:04 AM   |  #4  
CitizenLee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 494
 
2,342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Is warranty transferable if you're not the original owner?

I bought my N5 used, but the seller gave me the original purchase receipt in the box.
6th May 2014, 11:39 AM   |  #5  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453
 
4,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenLee

Is warranty transferable if you're not the original owner?

I bought my N5 used, but the seller gave me the original purchase receipt in the box.

If it's covered under LG, you only need the original invoice as proof... Nothing else.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th May 2014, 11:49 AM   |  #6  
CitizenLee's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 494
 
2,342 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2009
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

If it's covered under LG, you only need the original invoice as proof... Nothing else.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

Great, thanks for the info
6th May 2014, 02:01 PM   |  #7  
howard bamber's Avatar
Senior Member
Southport
Thanks Meter: 184
 
1,322 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2012
I thought it's 3 or more. Don't think a single pixel counts. Could be wrong...

From my mobile telephony device.
6th May 2014, 10:57 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
27 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

If it's covered under LG, you only need the original invoice as proof... Nothing else.

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

I talked with LG and they said that it would be nice to have an invoice. I told them I didn't have it. They said it's ok.

I believe it's because of two reasons:

1. The phone was bought via Sprint not google play - US bought. They dont cover warranty for non US Phones

2. The Nexus 5 just came out in November, so LG covers a one year warranty for phones.

I hope they fix my device.
7th May 2014, 12:19 AM   |  #9  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,453
 
4,239 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammrhappy123

I talked with LG and they said that it would be nice to have an invoice. I told them I didn't have it. They said it's ok.

I believe it's because of two reasons:

1. The phone was bought via Sprint not google play - US bought. They dont cover warranty for non US Phones

2. The Nexus 5 just came out in November, so LG covers a one year warranty for phones.

I hope they fix my device.

Obviously they don't cover warranty for non us phones. My reply was for the other guy who asked a doubt and not to you.

If you have lost the invoice , then they check the date of manufacture of that device (401/402..etc) and provide warranty for 1 year from that date!

Yes, they will fix your device! Be positive m8

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!
7th May 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Gee
I feel you there. I'm live in Canada, and my Nexus 5 also had a dead pixel. I RMA'd it and the new unit that received also had a dead pixel. RMA'd that again, and guess what? The one they sent me next had 2 dead pixels. I am actually on my 5th Nexus 5 right now, which also happens to have a dead pixel, and Google says that a full refund is an option at this point, as I've been very unlucky with this. Doing one more RMA hoping that I can finally get a good quality screen

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes