XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Determining N5 revision through serial number

Tip us?

Konpon96
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [Q] Determining N5 revision through serial number

Recently Google pushed next wave of Nexus 5's to Google Play and it was connected with little revision of hardware - they've improved buttons and speaker grill holes. I'm going to buy Nexus 5 32 GB (USA or Europe revision, doesn't mind), but as I want it to serve me for a long time (at least longer than S3 with Samsung unfavorable developer politics), I'd like to have that better version. Because there is no Play Store with devices in Poland, only way for me to buy it is through normal shops or auction portals like Allegro.pl.

Is it possible to determine Nexus 5 revision through it's serial number, so I could ask sellers for it before purchase and determine revision without opening the box?
Phone: LG Nexus 5
Kernel: CM stock
ROM: CyanogenMod 11 nightlies (4.4.2)
Mods: optimized dalvik and bionic, OmniROM File Manager
Previous phones: Nokia 6230 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson K800i -> Original iPhone 8GB -> iPhone 3G 16GB -> iPhone 3GS 16GB -> Samsung Galaxy S II (GT-i9100) -> Samsung Galaxy S III (GT-i9300)

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7 32GB 3G
Kernel: CM stock
ROM: CyanogenMod 11 nightlies (4.4.2)

EnricoD
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3157
I got 312k revision on 17th december... so I think You will get this rev

RASTAKAT /// BaNkS Minimal Gapps

The Stuff Song (click to show)

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 7406
There is no proof that there is a hardware revision. ALL devices say rev 11 in bootloader.

310 built in Oct, 311 built November, 312 built December. 401 In January? Lets see.

But bigger speaker holes could be simply because a machine was recalibrated or built in a different plant. Manufacturing processes are not perfect. Google / LG see all Nexus 5 as the same revision so there is no "better version".

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit
Always read the OP's of a thread and the last 2 pages before asking questions, unless there has been an update - in which case, read the last 5 pages!

nexus 5 | SlimKat | ElementalX kernel | Philz Touch Recovery

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

marleyfan61
Old
Thanks Meter 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Google / LG see all Nexus 5 as the same revision so there is no "better version".
Agreed. Besides, bigger speaker holes really do nothing to improve anything. It's just an easy recalibration for LG to make. Costs them nothing. And the whole rattling power button complaint is about the pettiest thing I've heard. Who knows if or when there will be an actual hardware revision. Cuz bigger holes and tighter button ain't it.
Phone: Nexus 5
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 (Rooted)
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: franco r32
Headpones: Beyerdynamic Tesla DT-1350, Sennheiser CX 880i

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 176
You can thank bad reporting for these daily threads.
W32
Tags
nexus, nexus5, number, revision, serial