5,814,633 Members 53,439 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dev friendliest phone

Tip us?
 
Radixtrator
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 303
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default Dev friendliest phone

So until now the N5 is the Dev friendliest phone ATM. Do you think it will lose that position when the one plus one is released? Do you think its worth switching to it when it comes out? Sorry if this is the wrong category or this post is stupid, I will gladly delete it if its not needed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
simms22
Old
#2  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,475
Posts: 25,856
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radixtrator View Post
So until now the N5 is the Dev friendliest phone ATM. Do you think it will lose that position when the one plus one is released? Do you think its worth switching to it when it comes out? Sorry if this is the wrong category or this post is stupid, I will gladly delete it if its not needed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
any latest nexus will always be the dev friendliest phone. the one plus isnt an aosp phone.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
Radixtrator
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 303
Join Date: Jan 2013
I never really got the difference, the makers of the one plus said it will run cm with ability to install stock android. Doesn't that mean its aosp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
holysnikey
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 63
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radixtrator View Post
I never really got the difference, the makers of the one plus said it will run cm with ability to install stock android. Doesn't that mean its aosp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Well AOSP and CM are different. That's why when you look at ROMs you see AOSP based and CM based mainly and same with kernels. CM actually has its own kernels now and can't run AOSP kernels.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
mistahseller
Old
#5  
mistahseller's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 193
Posts: 798
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Saint Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radixtrator View Post
I never really got the difference, the makers of the one plus said it will run cm with ability to install stock android. Doesn't that mean its aosp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
So what is the difference between Android and CyanogenMod?

About 1-2 times a year, the vanilla Android operating system (known as AOSP, or the Android Open Source Project) is internally developed, then released to the public, by Google. They provide the source code to anyone who wants to download it. The CyanogenMod community, comprised mostly of unpaid volunteers and enthusiasts from around the world, takes this newest Android code and "ports" it to dozens of new and older (aka "legacy") devices. At the same time, other CyanogenMod developers start adding features, fixes, and improvements that Google didn't include to the CyanogenMod code, which benefits all the devices. The CyanogenMod community has a whole infrastructure for people to build and test experimental versions, report bugs, and contribute back to the source code.

Sometimes features that started in CyanogenMod have appeared in newer version of "official" Android. And every time Android does a new "code dump" of their latest version, CyanogenMod benefits from Google's changes.

In this way, CyanogenMod is one (but not the only) community distribution of what started as vanilla AOSP. The Android community is vibrant, with numerous "modders" and "themers" and "performance enhancers" taking the source code and doing incredible things to it. Generally, there is a spirit of sharing knowledge and empowering people to experiment with controlling their devices, often giving old phones new life, and hopefully having fun in the process.

Source: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/About
 
simms22
Old
#6  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,475
Posts: 25,856
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radixtrator View Post
I never really got the difference, the makers of the one plus said it will run cm with ability to install stock android. Doesn't that mean its aosp?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ability to install stock android isnt the same as having everything made specifically for your phone(drivers and all). many phones can run aosp, after they have drivers hacked or added later. that doesnt mean that they are aosp phones. the drivers that come from aosp are made specifically for a nexus and cant be run on other hardware.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahseller View Post
So what is the difference between Android and CyanogenMod?

About 1-2 times a year, the vanilla Android operating system (known as AOSP, or the Android Open Source Project) is internally developed, then released to the public, by Google. They provide the source code to anyone who wants to download it. The CyanogenMod community, comprised mostly of unpaid volunteers and enthusiasts from around the world, takes this newest Android code and "ports" it to dozens of new and older (aka "legacy") devices. At the same time, other CyanogenMod developers start adding features, fixes, and improvements that Google didn't include to the CyanogenMod code, which benefits all the devices. The CyanogenMod community has a whole infrastructure for people to build and test experimental versions, report bugs, and contribute back to the source code.

Sometimes features that started in CyanogenMod have appeared in newer version of "official" Android. And every time Android does a new "code dump" of their latest version, CyanogenMod benefits from Google's changes.

In this way, CyanogenMod is one (but not the only) community distribution of what started as vanilla AOSP. The Android community is vibrant, with numerous "modders" and "themers" and "performance enhancers" taking the source code and doing incredible things to it. Generally, there is a spirit of sharing knowledge and empowering people to experiment with controlling their devices, often giving old phones new life, and hopefully having fun in the process.

Source: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/About
aosp is constantly getting developed, not twice, three, or four times a year. there is code constantly being added. some of that code also makes it to future android os updates. and bug fixes make it into aosp way before they get released for android os. cm has nothing at all to do with aosp. sure, some of their code makes it into aosp, so does some code of our developers here on xda that have nothing to with cm. cm is just a custom rom, nothing more. a custom rom that somewhat became a little larger because some manufacturers are using it on their devices. its a custom rom, just as rastakat is, just as purity is, etc.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!
 
KJ
Old
#7  
KJ's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,623
Posts: 8,655
Join Date: May 2011
Location: The boonies - southwest Ontario
The moto x has a dev version, made by a Google owned company, and it has many flashing limitations that the Nexus line does not have.

That's only an example, but no, I don't think any dev edition phone will ever have the development a nexus phone has, or the limitless possibilities a nexus has. Like bootloader complications, like the moto x DE has.

Sent from my cell phone telephone....
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

 
Zepius
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,080
Posts: 2,849
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
The moto x has a dev version, made by a Google owned company, and it has many flashing limitations that the Nexus line does not have.

That's only an example, but no, I don't think any dev edition phone will ever have the development a nexus phone has, or the limitless possibilities a nexus has. Like bootloader complications, like the moto x DE has.

Sent from my cell phone telephone....
motorola is now own by lenovo

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/29/l...-for-motorola/
Go back to stock on your nexus 5 using this guide: here

Tired of paying too much money for your phone plan? go prepaid!

Save money on refills for your prepaid plans: Use Callingmart

-Zep
 
Radixtrator
Old
#9  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 72
Posts: 303
Join Date: Jan 2013
So in only dev terms speaking, for people that love flashing everything possible, nothing beats a nexus not even the "superphone" oneplusone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
simms22
Old
#10  
simms22's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,475
Posts: 25,856
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BROOKLYN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radixtrator View Post
So in only dev terms speaking, for people that love flashing everything possible, nothing beats a nexus not even the "superphone" oneplusone?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
so in terms of devs or people that love flashing everything possible? those are 2 very different things. developers not only work on rom or kernel code, they also create apps, games, and other things for us to use. if all you want is a phone to flash on, you can use any phone(nexus for ease since its bootloader is unlockable). the one plus might come with an unlockable bootloader for ease of flashing, but that ease of flashing doesnt make it a developer phone.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes