Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,050 Members 42,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] building from source questions

Tip us?

skeliton lord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] building from source questions

I just built android AOSP from source from googles repo. I didn't use the OTA pakage command because it kept telling me that it wasn't installed or whatever. So I built it and now I have the .IMG files in my out folder. My question is, is there any way that I can turn those .IMG files into a zip? And if I were to start cherry picking from git or gerrit, will it have to rebuild the entire ROM or will it just recreate the parts of the ROM that I cherry picked?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,394
What command did you use? I haven't built AOSP for ages.

"Make installclean" is a good command to use before you build but after you cherry pick. It will clean what is needed to be cleaned. If you're using CCache you could have a build pretty quickly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

f14w3d
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeliton lord View Post
... And if I were to start cherry picking from git or gerrit, will it have to rebuild the entire ROM or will it just recreate the parts of the ROM that I cherry picked?
unless you do a clean/clobber, it should usually only rebuild the changes/dependant parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to f14w3d For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skeliton lord
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by f14w3d View Post
unless you do a clean/clobber, it should usually only rebuild the changes/dependant parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
What command did you use? I haven't built AOSP for ages.

"Make installclean" is a good command to use before you build but after you cherry pick. It will clean what is needed to be cleaned. If you're using CCache you could have a build pretty quickly

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
So i have to use the make installclean command and it won't rebuild the entire ROM?
And do you happen to know a way to merge .IMG files into a flashable zip?