Android App Review: Manage Your Connections Automagically – XDA TV

Material Design is all the buzz in the Android world right now. … more

Official TWRP Recovery Lands on Micromax Canvas Magnus

With the recent release of Android One, Micromax and MediaTek released fully buildable … more

Update Overload: SuperSU Heavily Updated

There are apps and apps out there. Very few can reach the level of popularity required to stay at … more

Lollipop Leak Available for the Sprint Galaxy S5

Since the Android 5.0Lollipop’s official release not too long ago, we’ve seen … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

New device, how to deal with charge

OP reynierpm

9th January 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 15
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Hi there, I own a Nexus 5 recently. The phone arrives soon and by everyone is know that battery comes with some charge. Should I leave discharge the battery complete and then charge back or how is this procedure in order to not kill the battery and gain a good calibration?

I have an extra question, is there any problem for battery if I leave the USB cable connected all the time even if battery is full?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
9th January 2014, 01:51 AM   |  #2  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,791
 
10,859 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating
9th January 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #3  
teh roxxorz's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,097
 
8,220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating

You can use as normal..I normally drain it.

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run
The Following User Says Thank You to teh roxxorz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 02:35 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
NYC & Germany
Thanks Meter: 455
 
1,570 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz

You can use as normal..I normally drain it.

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run

Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.
The Following User Says Thank You to shotta35 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th January 2014, 12:08 AM   |  #5  
teh roxxorz's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,097
 
8,220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35

Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.

Well very true, and I have an electronics background, so I know what works and what's alright. Discharging it is fine.
10th January 2014, 06:27 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 15
 
294 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Thanks to all of yours I'll learn something new and now I know how to handle battery lifetime for best

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
13th January 2014, 09:10 PM   |  #7  
ItzCrooK2UxD's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 274
 
208 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Actually Shotta35 is 100% correct with regards to deep discharges and li-ion batteries. There is a write up I did in 2012 about battery care from a hardware prospective in my sig, and it has nothing to do with battery memory. teh roxxorz is also right about leaving batteries plugged in for extended periods of time. More energy = more heat = shorter lifesan.
Last edited by ItzCrooK2UxD; 13th January 2014 at 09:15 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes