T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

New device, how to deal with charge

OP reynierpm

9th January 2014, 12:40 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 15

294 posts
More
Hi there, I own a Nexus 5 recently. The phone arrives soon and by everyone is know that battery comes with some charge. Should I leave discharge the battery complete and then charge back or how is this procedure in order to not kill the battery and gain a good calibration?

I have an extra question, is there any problem for battery if I leave the USB cable connected all the time even if battery is full?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
9th January 2014, 12:51 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,511

10,207 posts
Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating
9th January 2014, 01:42 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,091

8,211 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Just charge it, don't fully discharge it and use it normally. You don't need to worry about calibrating

You can use as normal..I normally drain it.

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run
The Following User Says Thank You to teh roxxorz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 01:35 PM   |  #4  
NYC & Germany
Thanks Meter: 455

1,569 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz

You can use as normal..I normally drain it.

And in general, when dealing with lithium ion batteries, leaving them plugged in excessively when fully charged kills the battery in the long run

Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.
The Following User Says Thank You to shotta35 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th January 2014, 11:08 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 2,091

8,211 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotta35

Bad form on both counts. Li-ON batteries shouldn't be deep discharged. They have built in circuitry to prevent ACTUAL 0% (they shut down before getting to real 0%) but still not good to run it down to 5% all the time.

Unless you have some crappy charger & phone, the IC in the phone will instruct the charger to kill power when it's full so leaving it plugged in all the time wont make a difference - this is for a phone.

This is not the same and not for the same reasons in laptops. Reason it's not so good is if your laptop has crappy cooling system or like some people need it on "Performance" all the time because they don't want their CPUs "slowing them down". As a result of the heat from the system now going into idle state, the battery lifespan degrades. This is where your "plugged in all the time" stance comes from but it's not valid with all applications.

Well very true, and I have an electronics background, so I know what works and what's alright. Discharging it is fine.
10th January 2014, 05:27 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Caracas
Thanks Meter: 15

294 posts
More
Thanks to all of yours I'll learn something new and now I know how to handle battery lifetime for best

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
13th January 2014, 08:10 PM   |  #7  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 274

208 posts
More
Actually Shotta35 is 100% correct with regards to deep discharges and li-ion batteries. There is a write up I did in 2012 about battery care from a hardware prospective in my sig, and it has nothing to do with battery memory. teh roxxorz is also right about leaving batteries plugged in for extended periods of time. More energy = more heat = shorter lifesan.
Last edited by ItzCrooK2UxD; 13th January 2014 at 08:15 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread