Difference between "Google Photos", "Google Photos Auto Backup" and "Google+ Photos"

OP Enhanced

24th June 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 261

1,043 posts
More
Just a simple question that I'm a little surprised hasn't been asked before. When looking at the syncing options (attached screenshot), what is the difference between syncing "Google Photos", "Google Photos Auto Backup" and "Google+ Photos"?

All I want to do with my photos are for them to be backed-up Google+ automatically after I take them on my phone which it is currently doing without an issue. I'm just wondering which one of these 3 options, which all sound pretty redundant, I can uncheck and still have that functionality? I guess my main motivation is to save a little battery life with less syncing.

Anyone know what the differences are? Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enhanced For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 06:12 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,429

4,905 posts
More
Good question. I noticed this before but didn't think much of it. It does seem pretty redundant.
24th June 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

1,043 posts
More
Well I figured out one of them. Based on what I gathered from http://lifehacker.com/disable-google...app-1148620893 the only utility "Google Photos" sync provides is for your photos to also be synced to the Gallery app as well.

I don't need my synced photos to show up in Gallery and also in the "Photos" app so I did what they said in the Lifehacker article and unchecked the "Google Photos" sync option and cleared app data in Gallery. Gallery now only displays images on my local storage and auto backup still seems to work fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enhanced For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th June 2014, 06:31 PM   |  #4  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 76

160 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'm assuming...

Google Photos will sync and restore the photos you have in Google Photos to your phone.

Google Photos Auto Backup will automatically sync your photos to Google Photos. Basically checking that box automates the process of backing up photos on your device for you.

Google+ photos will sync your Google+ photos to your phones gallery.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong though.
24th June 2014, 06:45 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

1,043 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio01

I'm assuming...

Google Photos will sync and restore the photos you have in Google Photos to your phone.

Google Photos Auto Backup will automatically sync your photos to Google Photos. Basically checking that box automates the process of backing up photos on your device for you.

Google+ photos will sync your Google+ photos to your phones gallery.

Anyone correct me if i'm wrong though.

Close. From further testing, I seem to have gotten these results:

Google Photos sync: Google+ photos will sync to your phone's Gallery.
Google Photos Auto Backup: what you said
Google+ Photos: I just unchecked this and did some tests and it seems to do nothing at all. I took a picture and it still automatically backed-up and it still showed up in the "Photos" app. Checked Google+ on my browser and the photo is there too. Does anyone know what this really does?

All and all, I'm pretty happy that I killed 2 syncs that pretty much did nothing for me. Hopefully my phone can run more efficiently.
24th June 2014, 07:17 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 645

2,221 posts
great question..

I just have Google photos+ ticked and that backs up my photos on the photos app .. shrugs it seems to do exactly the same as auto backup photos

great Google design and coding as always.. clear as mud
25th June 2014, 02:06 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 608

1,991 posts
"Google Photos" is certainly a part of the old stock Gallery app. If you disable that app, it removes the sync as well. I doubt we will ever see another Nexus/GPe/Silver device with that app anyways.
25th June 2014, 06:19 AM   |  #8  
Flag Orange County, CA
Thanks Meter: 143

440 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enhanced

Close. From further testing, I seem to have gotten these results:

Google Photos sync: Google+ photos will sync to your phone's Gallery.
Google Photos Auto Backup: what you said
Google+ Photos: I just unchecked this and did some tests and it seems to do nothing at all. I took a picture and it still automatically backed-up and it still showed up in the "Photos" app. Checked Google+ on my browser and the photo is there too. Does anyone know what this really does?

All and all, I'm pretty happy that I killed 2 syncs that pretty much did nothing for me. Hopefully my phone can run more efficiently.

I believe Google+ just added a feature that will backup ANY photos that you download to your device. I remember seeing that it said it can now back up ALL photos stored anywhere on your device. I know this works because the first couple times I downloaded a photo to my downloads folder, it notified me that it backed it up on Google+. So I believe that is what Google+ Photos does. I know for a fact that all Google Photos does is show your Picasa (synced) pictures in your gallery app. First thing I do is uncheck that and clear data for the gallery app on my phone so I don't see all of them in my gallery. And Google Photos Auto Backup does what it always has, which is back up pictures (and videos) to your Google+ account.
29th July 2014, 06:39 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 0

58 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39

I believe Google+ just added a feature that will backup ANY photos that you download to your device. I remember seeing that it said it can now back up ALL photos stored anywhere on your device. I know this works because the first couple times I downloaded a photo to my downloads folder, it notified me that it backed it up on Google+. So I believe that is what Google+ Photos does. I know for a fact that all Google Photos does is show your Picasa (synced) pictures in your gallery app. First thing I do is uncheck that and clear data for the gallery app on my phone so I don't see all of them in my gallery. And Google Photos Auto Backup does what it always has, which is back up pictures (and videos) to your Google+ account.

Those same check boxes keep checking themselves, no rhyme or reason. So they sync even though auto backup is off.

Any thoughts as to why all the photo backup boxes would check themselves off?
25th August 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

1,043 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1966

Those same check boxes keep checking themselves, no rhyme or reason. So they sync even though auto backup is off.

Any thoughts as to why all the photo backup boxes would check themselves off?

I got the same problem. Google+ sync also re-checks itself all the time too.

And as an update, it seems that Google has now changed the "Google Photos Auto Backup" sync option to a new "Google+ uploads" sync option. I guess this makes it a little more clearer, a bit.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread