FORUMS

3D Printable Mobile Microscope? Nexus 7 Discontinued – XDA TV

The Nexus 7 2013 has been discontinued on the Google Store! That and … more

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Display issues

7th August 2014, 06:43 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
It is normal for display to go blank due to proximity censor while making calls. In my case however,occasionally the display stays blank even after the call gets over. This also happens every now and then when I lock the phone, only to never unlock. At times, the displays backlit switches while unlocking but not all the time. The phone's processor stays awake in both the cases (calling/locking) and the phone rings & vibrates perfectly on making calls. The only option that I have in such cases is to restart the phone. Is anyone facing similar problems with their phones? I've done a factory reset off late but still the problem persists.
 
 
7th August 2014, 07:29 AM |#2  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,460
 
More
Are you using a screen protector? May be you haven't aligned it properly and hence proximity sensor detects it and turns off the display??
7th August 2014, 08:29 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
I've had similar situations happen to mine, but I figured out that after a Skype call on my phone, the proximity sensor will remain active and will sleep the screen if something's covering it. I'm not sure if you have skype running, but if you do, that might be why.
7th August 2014, 09:33 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Are you using a screen protector? May be you haven't aligned it properly and hence proximity sensor detects it and turns off the display??

I don't think obstruction of the proximity sensor is an issue since this problems occurs even when I lock and then try to unlock the phone. Also the backlit turns on at times when I try to unlock the phone.
7th August 2014, 09:53 AM |#5  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,460
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatshadow

I don't think obstruction of the proximity sensor is an issue since this problems occurs even when I lock and then try to unlock the phone. Also the backlit turns on at times when I try to unlock the phone.

Well, what you're facing right now is a classic example of what people face when they keep on the protective covering used on a new phone when the phone is shipped.

If you think it's not the issue then search for any apps which you might have installed? Run the phone is safe mode and see if it acts up? Flash stock images or do a reset to rule out the possibility of a software issue.
10th August 2014, 09:07 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak

Well, what you're facing right now is a classic example of what people face when they keep on the protective covering used on a new phone when the phone is shipped.

If you think it's not the issue then search for any apps which you might have installed? Run the phone is safe mode and see if it acts up? Flash stock images or do a reset to rule out the possibility of a software issue.

After few days of working flawlessly, today again the display blanked out while it was locked in normal mode. I tried unlocking the phone but only the backlit would light up. So I restarted the phone, activated the safe mode as suggested by you and then few minutes later, again the display blanked out. What should be the next step now? Please elaborate on flashing stock image. I've earlier done a factory reset but I immediately installed all the apps.
10th August 2014, 09:21 AM |#7  
vin4yak's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 2,460
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatshadow

After few days of working flawlessly, today again the display blanked out while it was locked in normal mode. I tried unlocking the phone but only the backlit would light up. So I restarted the phone, activated the safe mode as suggested by you and then few minutes later, again the display blanked out. What should be the next step now? Please elaborate on flashing stock image. I've earlier done a factory reset but I immediately installed all the apps.

Well, if you're facing the issue in safe mode as well, any apps might not be causing it. To flash factory images, you will need to unlock the bootloader. Follow the guide which is linked in my signature.

Since you don't know about how to flash stock images, I assume you haven't rooted and undervolted? Display black outs while unlocking the device can be caused due to undervolting as well.
10th August 2014, 05:35 PM |#8  
spinninbsod's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag new york city
Thanks Meter: 85
 
More
It could be a hardware problem on the phone I had before the n5 with my lg g2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
10th August 2014, 06:06 PM |#9  
lolcakes203's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Possible, but he should exhaust all software options before seeking out a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank