Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,261 Members 37,862 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Display issues

Tip us?

combatshadow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question Display issues

It is normal for display to go blank due to proximity censor while making calls. In my case however,occasionally the display stays blank even after the call gets over. This also happens every now and then when I lock the phone, only to never unlock. At times, the displays backlit switches while unlocking but not all the time. The phone's processor stays awake in both the cases (calling/locking) and the phone rings & vibrates perfectly on making calls. The only option that I have in such cases is to restart the phone. Is anyone facing similar problems with their phones? I've done a factory reset off late but still the problem persists.

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Are you using a screen protector? May be you haven't aligned it properly and hence proximity sensor detects it and turns off the display??

rcheung28
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I've had similar situations happen to mine, but I figured out that after a Skype call on my phone, the proximity sensor will remain active and will sleep the screen if something's covering it. I'm not sure if you have skype running, but if you do, that might be why.

combatshadow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Are you using a screen protector? May be you haven't aligned it properly and hence proximity sensor detects it and turns off the display??
I don't think obstruction of the proximity sensor is an issue since this problems occurs even when I lock and then try to unlock the phone. Also the backlit turns on at times when I try to unlock the phone.

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatshadow View Post
I don't think obstruction of the proximity sensor is an issue since this problems occurs even when I lock and then try to unlock the phone. Also the backlit turns on at times when I try to unlock the phone.
Well, what you're facing right now is a classic example of what people face when they keep on the protective covering used on a new phone when the phone is shipped.

If you think it's not the issue then search for any apps which you might have installed? Run the phone is safe mode and see if it acts up? Flash stock images or do a reset to rule out the possibility of a software issue.

combatshadow
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin4yak View Post
Well, what you're facing right now is a classic example of what people face when they keep on the protective covering used on a new phone when the phone is shipped.

If you think it's not the issue then search for any apps which you might have installed? Run the phone is safe mode and see if it acts up? Flash stock images or do a reset to rule out the possibility of a software issue.
After few days of working flawlessly, today again the display blanked out while it was locked in normal mode. I tried unlocking the phone but only the backlit would light up. So I restarted the phone, activated the safe mode as suggested by you and then few minutes later, again the display blanked out. What should be the next step now? Please elaborate on flashing stock image. I've earlier done a factory reset but I immediately installed all the apps.

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,179

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatshadow View Post
After few days of working flawlessly, today again the display blanked out while it was locked in normal mode. I tried unlocking the phone but only the backlit would light up. So I restarted the phone, activated the safe mode as suggested by you and then few minutes later, again the display blanked out. What should be the next step now? Please elaborate on flashing stock image. I've earlier done a factory reset but I immediately installed all the apps.
Well, if you're facing the issue in safe mode as well, any apps might not be causing it. To flash factory images, you will need to unlock the bootloader. Follow the guide which is linked in my signature.

Since you don't know about how to flash stock images, I assume you haven't rooted and undervolted? Display black outs while unlocking the device can be caused due to undervolting as well.

spinninbsod
Old
Thanks Meter 60
It could be a hardware problem on the phone I had before the n5 with my lg g2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

lolcakes203
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Possible, but he should exhaust all software options before seeking out a replacement.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app
Devices:
LG Optimus 2X P990
LG Nexus 4

LG Optimus 2X:
ROM: Tonyp TheROM Build 26 New Bootloader
Kernel: Kowalski Kernel M1 New Bootloader 2.6.39.4 W/ RAM Hack
Bootloader:ICS Bootloader
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.0.0 For New BL
Baseband: 1035.21

Nexus 4:
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 W/ Root (Xposed, GPU Drivers, Dalvik/Bionic Patches)
Kernel: Matr1x 14.0 W/ GPU OC
Bootloader: Stock Bootloader (Unlocked)
Recvoery: PhilZ Touch CWM-Based Recovery
Radio:Radio (1.03)