5,600,919 Members 41,373 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Display shuts off while watching videos in stock browser.

Tip us?

sil3nc3
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Display shuts off while watching videos in stock browser.

I've been on the hunt for an answer for a few weeks. I'm using CM11 nightlies and when I'm watching a video in the browser my screen dims and eventually shuts off as if nothing was playing. I did see a few people post with the same issue in a few threads but that's about it. I thought it would eventually be fixed but it doesn't seem to be a common issue. Only happens in the AOSP browser and I just clean flashed everything before posting. So it can't be because of the dirty flashes. Anyone have any idea what gives?
Nextel: Motorola i90c -> Motorola i730 -> Motorola i833
T-Mobile: Motorola V300
Cingular / AT&T: Motorola RAZR V3 -> Sony Ericsson S700 -> Sony Ericsson w800i -> Sony Ericsson W810 -> HTC TyTN (Cingular 8525) -> Apple iPhone -> Apple iPhone 3G -> Apple iPhone 4 -> Samsung Galaxy S2 -> Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket -> Samsung Galaxy Nexus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> Samsung Galaxy S4 -> LG Nexus 5

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2720
Quote:
Originally Posted by sil3nc3 View Post
I've been on the hunt for an answer for a few weeks. I'm using CM11 nightlies and when I'm watching a video in the browser my screen dims and eventually shuts off as if nothing was playing. I did see a few people post with the same issue in a few threads but that's about it. I thought it would eventually be fixed but it doesn't seem to be a common issue. Only happens in the AOSP browser and I just clean flashed everything before posting. So it can't be because of the dirty flashes. Anyone have any idea what gives?
Well, they are called "Nightlies" for a reason...

Does it happen with other browsers? It might be the browser's fault.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Don't think its an issue with your ROM. Completely stock and the same happens to me watching any embedded videos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
W32

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Don't think its an issue with your ROM. Completely stock and the same happens to me watching any embedded videos.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Then it's the browser's fault.

P R O
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Has anyone thought about turning his screen timeout hi like 10 mins

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

es0tericcha0s
Old
Thanks Meter 211

DONATE TO ME
Browsers are certainly a personal preference. If you're dead set on using that particular one, then I would suggest something along the lines of using the Xposed Framework and the module App Settings: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2437377 You can use this to keep the Browser (or other apps) to not time out, but just the apps you select instead of just doing a generic leave the screen on for 10 minutes at a time. Or, if you use ART, or don't care to mess with Xposed, then something along these lines: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....keepscn&hl=en should work for what you want. Basically you can just set it to keep the screen on as long as you are looking at the phone (FFC) then it'll stay on - ala Samsung.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!

HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ?