Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 47,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] A dock or some way to use external monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

Tip us?

The Lepricon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] A dock or some way to use external monitor, keyboard, and mouse?

HI all,

I've been realizing lately that my Nexus 5 does just about everything I need anymore. I hardly ever need a PC for anything except for the full size monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Now, I think I can use USB OTG and connect a Mouse and keyboard. But, is there a way to connect an external monitor as well?

I see that there is a Docking station for Samsung Galaxy phones that seem to do what I'm asking, here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...EDD-S20JWEGSTA

I've googled but cannot figure out if there is anything out there that would work for my Nexus 5. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TheAtheistOtaku
Old
Thanks Meter 294
externally powered USB hub. I used my friends once, had a hdmi output also and it worked flawlessly. (and by externally powered, i mean one that draws power from an outlet, not the phone itself)

METDeath
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
HI all,

I've been realizing lately that my Nexus 5 does just about everything I need anymore. I hardly ever need a PC for anything except for the full size monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Now, I think I can use USB OTG and connect a Mouse and keyboard. But, is there a way to connect an external monitor as well?

I see that there is a Docking station for Samsung Galaxy phones that seem to do what I'm asking, here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...EDD-S20JWEGSTA

I've googled but cannot figure out if there is anything out there that would work for my Nexus 5. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Best bet is Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and use a HDMI out dongle and plug the phone into a wall outlet.

The Lepricon
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by METDeath View Post
Best bet is Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and use a HDMI out dongle and plug the phone into a wall outlet.
Now that sounds like a good idea.

Are you sure I can connect a keyboard and mouse over Bluetooth at the same time?

METDeath
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lepricon View Post
Now that sounds like a good idea.

Are you sure I can connect a keyboard and mouse over Bluetooth at the same time?
One way to find out... could also just get a keyboard with built in mouse like this or find one of these.