FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] nexus 5 red light

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By PRIME667, Junior Member on 1st December 2013, 05:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
hi guys,

2 days ago I got a nexus 5 loved it until today I was playing a game (asphalt 8) and it just turned it self off don't know why just did now all im getting is a flashing red light I was on holiday with the phone could the plane have done something to it anyway guys please help me

thanks
Prime

1st December 2013, 05:47 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 113

More
No, the plane didn't do anything to the phone.

Did the battery die? Did you stick the phone on a charger after it turned off?
1st December 2013, 06:07 PM |#3  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 697

More
Best guess is that it's overheated to the thermal shutdown limit.
Leave it a while then try powering it back on

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
2nd December 2013, 07:31 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188

ive already tried all of that but 1 think ive not tried is a reset but I have data on my phone that I don't wanna lose can anyone help
2nd December 2013, 08:27 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,903

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex240188

na, when you hit the safety shutdown temp, all it does is shut down, you can boot it right after. ive reached it many times(on purpose), it works.

what the op is describing sounds like the rlod on the nexus 4(red light of death). it happens when the phone thinks it went below 0%. on the n4 there are two solutions, one works sometimes, the other all the time. the one that works sometimes is leave it on the charger for several hours, then try to boot into the bootloader, then shut off the phone from there and keep charging. the method that works 100% is to remove the back cover, disconnect the battery, then reconnect it. this is a hard reset for the battery, and works 100% of the time on the nexus 4.
2nd December 2013, 08:52 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

na, when you hit the safety shutdown temp, all it does is shut down, you can boot it right after. ive reached it many times(on purpose), it works.

what the op is describing sounds like the rlod on the nexus 4(red light of death). it happens when the phone thinks it went below 0%. on the n4 there are two solutions, one works sometimes, the other all the time. the one that works sometimes is leave it on the charger for several hours, then try to boot into the bootloader, then shut off the phone from there and keep charging. the method that works 100% is to remove the back cover, disconnect the battery, then reconnect it. this is a hard reset for the battery, and works 100% of the time on the nexus 4.

im a newbee I cant open a phone up anyway ive tried to get in to bootloader should I just RMA the phone.
2nd December 2013, 09:01 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,903

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRIME667

im a newbee I cant open a phone up anyway ive tried to get in to bootloader should I just RMA the phone.

if it was something that happened on its own(without you tinkering with your phone), then yes.
3rd December 2013, 06:37 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

if it was something that happened on its own(without you tinkering with your phone), then yes.

right ill do that thanks for your help guys
PRIME667
3rd December 2013, 07:28 PM |#9  
Flag Saint Louis
Thanks Meter: 118

More
You may want to give this procedure a try, its copied directly from Google's product support page for the Nexus 7.

Make sure there isn’t any dust or lint in the power port.
Using the original power adapter and USB cable, plug your Nexus 7 into a functioning power outlet. Nexus 7 has specific power requirements, and the USB cable and power adapter that are included are designed to meet those requirements.
Ensure the power cord is securely connected to the tablet and the power adapter.
After 1 minute, check to see if a battery icon appears on the screen.
If the battery icon appears, press & hold the Power button for 15 to 30 seconds to see if the device turns on.

If the battery icon doesn't appear, try accessing the Android bootloader menu:

Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds until you see an Android robot and the word Start on the screen.
Press the Volume down button until Power off is highlighted. Press the Power button to select that option.
Disconnect the charger and reconnect it within 10 seconds. A battery icon should appear on your screen.

Once the battery icon appears on the screen, allow your tablet to charge for at least 1 hour before turning it back on.
15th December 2013, 07:08 PM |#10  
OP Junior Member

More
Thumbs up returned it
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluflyer06

You may want to give this procedure a try, its copied directly from Google's product support page for the Nexus 7.

Make sure there isn’t any dust or lint in the power port.
Using the original power adapter and USB cable, plug your Nexus 7 into a functioning power outlet. Nexus 7 has specific power requirements, and the USB cable and power adapter that are included are designed to meet those requirements.
Ensure the power cord is securely connected to the tablet and the power adapter.
After 1 minute, check to see if a battery icon appears on the screen.
If the battery icon appears, press & hold the Power button for 15 to 30 seconds to see if the device turns on.

If the battery icon doesn't appear, try accessing the Android bootloader menu:

Press & hold the Volume down button. While holding Volume down, press & hold the Power button for at least 10 seconds until you see an Android robot and the word Start on the screen.
Press the Volume down button until Power off is highlighted. Press the Power button to select that option.
Disconnect the charger and reconnect it within 10 seconds. A battery icon should appear on your screen.

Once the battery icon appears on the screen, allow your tablet to charge for at least 1 hour before turning it back on.

I got a new one thanks for all your help
1st January 2014, 09:48 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
I just had a red blinking light and no charge indicator situation, as well. Nothing seemed to work: plugged it in for 20 minutes, unplugged it for 20 minutes, plugged it back in...and after another hour on the charger I finally noticed the blinking red light had gone away, and hitting power brought up the charging indicator as normal. Booted right up and has been fine since.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)