Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,168 Members 51,362 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dropped my Nexus 5

Tip us?

Caebron
Old
(Last edited by Caebron; 6th January 2014 at 06:01 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Default [Q] Dropped my Nexus 5

Just dropped my phone on the edge of a glass table from a height if about 1.5 ft. The backing separated a bit (2mm, I just popped it back in) and there now a wee groove right by the headphone connector. Other than cosmetic, there *seems* to be no internal damage. Everything works fine as far as I am able to tell, including using headphones and I hear nothing rattling inside when I shake it. There are these barely audible squeal/ tiny beeps in that area which I can only hear when I put my ear right up to it, but that may be normal?

My question to you good people is, should I be worried that something on the inside may have become loose and cause problems down the lane? Or all is well as long it works okay? How can I check to be sure?

Nexus 5 (current) Cyanogenmod 11
MB886 (retired) NottachTrix ROM, Faux 123 Kernel

Beauenheim
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
You should be fine, if there doesn't seem to be any internal damage, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Water damage tends to be less predictable, not drops.

As for that dent, maybe you can get a replacement housing.

Caebron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauenheim View Post
You should be fine, if there doesn't seem to be any internal damage, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Water damage tends to be less predictable, not drops.

As for that dent, maybe you can get a replacement housing.
Thanks, that kinda what I figured too, but now I'm just paranoid that something broke internally or damaged just enough to work itself loose in time. But that hint you gave about drop damage predictability makes sense.

I wish I could make sure.

Any ideas about the cost for LG repair service? I called them earlier and they were super unhelpful.

I should probably just look up a youtube tutorial on how to open the phone and peek inside.

Caebron
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Ok, yeah I should be fine After watching a guy disassemble his phone on youtube, there is nothing in that particular area other than the headphone jack. Looks like the plastic cover and the jack itself absorbed most if not all of the shock.

Beauenheim
Old
Thanks Meter 81

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caebron View Post
Ok, yeah I should be fine After watching a guy disassemble his phone on youtube, there is nothing in that particular area other than the headphone jack. Looks like the plastic cover and the jack itself absorbed most if not all of the shock.
If you ever experience issues with it, the headphone jack on a nexus 5 is a super easy part to replace, as it's not soldered anywhere. Just clips as I heard from iFixit.