No registration required

[Q] Dropped my Nexus 5

OP Caebron

6th January 2014, 06:03 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 12

207 posts
More
Just dropped my phone on the edge of a glass table from a height if about 1.5 ft. The backing separated a bit (2mm, I just popped it back in) and there now a wee groove right by the headphone connector. Other than cosmetic, there *seems* to be no internal damage. Everything works fine as far as I am able to tell, including using headphones and I hear nothing rattling inside when I shake it. There are these barely audible squeal/ tiny beeps in that area which I can only hear when I put my ear right up to it, but that may be normal?

My question to you good people is, should I be worried that something on the inside may have become loose and cause problems down the lane? Or all is well as long it works okay? How can I check to be sure?

Last edited by Caebron; 6th January 2014 at 07:01 AM.
6th January 2014, 06:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Meridian, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 89

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
You should be fine, if there doesn't seem to be any internal damage, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Water damage tends to be less predictable, not drops.

As for that dent, maybe you can get a replacement housing.
6th January 2014, 07:19 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

207 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauenheim

You should be fine, if there doesn't seem to be any internal damage, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Water damage tends to be less predictable, not drops.

As for that dent, maybe you can get a replacement housing.

Thanks, that kinda what I figured too, but now I'm just paranoid that something broke internally or damaged just enough to work itself loose in time. But that hint you gave about drop damage predictability makes sense.

I wish I could make sure.

Any ideas about the cost for LG repair service? I called them earlier and they were super unhelpful.

I should probably just look up a youtube tutorial on how to open the phone and peek inside.
6th January 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member

207 posts
More
Ok, yeah I should be fine After watching a guy disassemble his phone on youtube, there is nothing in that particular area other than the headphone jack. Looks like the plastic cover and the jack itself absorbed most if not all of the shock.
7th January 2014, 06:00 AM   |  #5  
Flag Meridian, Idaho
Thanks Meter: 89

313 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caebron

Ok, yeah I should be fine After watching a guy disassemble his phone on youtube, there is nothing in that particular area other than the headphone jack. Looks like the plastic cover and the jack itself absorbed most if not all of the shock.

If you ever experience issues with it, the headphone jack on a nexus 5 is a super easy part to replace, as it's not soldered anywhere. Just clips as I heard from iFixit.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread