5,598,779 Members 34,388 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Dual boot Android & Windows, is it possible?

Tip us?

Dolfan058
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Dual boot Android & Windows, is it possible?

Exactly as the subject says, can a custom ROM be created that would allow the N5 to dual boot Android and Windows 8.1? This would blow my mind from an enterprise perspective. Essentially a Transformer Book Duet in our hands.

Feel free to bring me crashing back to reality if this is in no way possible lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan058 View Post
Exactly as the subject says, can a custom ROM be created that would allow the N5 to dual boot Android and Windows 8.1? This would blow my mind from an enterprise perspective. Essentially a Transformer Book Duet in our hands.

Feel free to bring me crashing back to reality if this is in no way possible lol.

It will be nearly impossible to do so since Windows is not open source. Meaning a Dev will have to reconstruct everything from scratch to get it to work. It will never be bug free or fully functional. Although it would be nice to have other OS options just for bragging rights.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to OuncE718 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paperWastage
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan058 View Post

nexus 5 has an ARM cpu

closest thing that works on ARM cpus in the Windows RT... but good luck with the drivers and other stuff

there are new phones coming out with the Intel Clover Trail/Bay Trail architecture. these are fully x86/x64-compatible chips.... maybe someone would be able to load windows on those... then you run into the problem of having the radio modem work in windows and other stuff
Current Device:
Oppo Find 5 - experimental kernel

jabza
Old
Thanks Meter 384

DONATE TO ME
Well @Cotulla sort of made it happen for the HD2 in this thread. It wasn't Windows 8.1, but it was WPH. I think that's a pretty good start.

He's also been working with the HTC One to get Windows RT or WP8 working (here), which is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how much he could help with the Nexus 5, though, since I don't think he has one.

hello00
Old
Thanks Meter 1679
might as well buy a windows phone
-Black&Cyan for ICS 4.0.4, JB 4.1.1 and CM10 AOSP Theme Apps, -Blacked Out Gapps, Custom Batt% & Icons

-HTC Sense Camera for HTC One m7 Google Edition Roms 4.2.2 Click Here

-★ [THEMED] Kitkat 4.4 Mms.apk Dark Holo & More ★Here

★ ★ UCCW Clocks by me Click here ★ ★