5,606,297 Members 32,928 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Dual boot stock with other ROMs?

Tip us?

vaindil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Drive [Q] Dual boot stock with other ROMs?

I'd love to mess around with ROMs other than stock (especially CM), but I don't want to have to repeatedly back up my data, flash the new ROM, and restore my data (which may or may not be compatible with the ROM).

Is it possible to dual boot my existing stock N5 system with other ROMs that can be easily reflashed? I have a 32GB N5, and I'm completely comfortable using adb and other such tools (I'm in IT and I know what I'm doing ). If it matters, I currently use franco's kernel, but everything else is completely stock (factory, not AOSP).

Fallon9111
Old
Thanks Meter 86

DONATE TO ME
You can install multirom using this app, but you will need to be rooted AND unlocked

If you have an unlocked bootloader but no root, you can flash the multirom recovery.img using fastboot.

If you aren't unlocked, back up your apps to to an external source, unlock your bootloader and then flash the multirom recovery.img using fastboot.

Good luck!
Nexus 5 (hammerhead) Self Compiled CM11 from CM's repos
Nexus 7 (grouper) Self Compiled CM11 from CM's repos
Desire HD (ace) Self Compiled CM10.1 from Mustaavalkosta's Github
Xperia Tablet S Won from androidpolice Running rooted stock 4.1
The Following User Says Thank You to Fallon9111 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vaindil
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon9111 View Post
You can install multirom using this app, but you will need to be rooted AND unlocked

If you have an unlocked bootloader but no root, you can flash the multirom recovery.img using fastboot.

If you aren't unlocked, back up your apps to to an external source, unlock your bootloader and then flash the multirom recovery.img using fastboot.

Good luck!
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you, I greatly appreciate it!