Excessive battery drain...

Tip us?

fcng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Excessive battery drain...

Dear All,

My N5 draws excessive battery when in standby mode (screen off). It usually ranges from 300-400mA per hour. I was usually getting only 2-10 mA on my N4. I installed the same apps on my N5 that I used on my N4. I'm not a sure if Google Search is constantly on. I disabled Google Now, Google Play Books,Google Play Magazines, Google Play Music, Google Hangouts, Google Newsstand. I'm using Battery Monitor Widget by 3C and 2X Battery - Battery Saver. The Battery Monitor to keep track of the discharge amounts. I am still getting 3.5-4.0 SOT though. Any ideas for common excessive battery drain on Kit Kat 4.4 / N5?

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1372
Is the battery monitor not using battery to do its job?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

fcng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben36 View Post
Is the battery monitor not using battery to do its job?

Of course it is but not 300-400mA drain. I've used Battery Monitor Widget since N4 with no problems. I'm just not sure which app will draining the battery. at the aforementioned mA.

nobnut
Old
Thanks Meter 2394
I used the returns feature to resolve the battery drain.

Never, ever conform
IOHWIRI

fcng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Returns feature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobnut View Post
I used the returns feature to resolve the battery drain.
nobnut,

Please enlighten me on how the returns feature works and where it can be located on the phone.

Thanks.

chirag_chheda
Old
Thanks Meter 11
What's wrong with the stock battery manager?
Do you have your WiFi or cellular data on for most of the time?
A live wallpaper?A app that's constantly on checking for any live updates perhaps?

fcng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Default Same apps as N4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirag_chheda View Post
What's wrong with the stock battery manager?
Do you have your WiFi or cellular data on for most of the time?
A live wallpaper?A app that's constantly on checking for any live updates perhaps?
My WiFi and cellular is automatically toggled to go on (screen on) or off (screen off) by the app 2X - Battery Saver. I used it on my N4 and I had no problems. I can't pinpoint which app is draining. Google Search is always 3rd on my list even when I don't use Google Now.

mzaur
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcng View Post
nobnut,

Please enlighten me on how the returns feature works and where it can be located on the phone.

Thanks.

lol I think he meant that he returned the phone and got a replacement, or a different phone.

If you want to be very specific about what is causing your drain, then get BetterBatteryStats. If you're rooted, you will see under Alarms the specific service that is causing wakelocks. Most likely it is Google Play Services. The battery drain sucks. Turn off Location reporting in Google Settings (and also turn off remote location under Android Device Manager). Pretty sure that doing both is what helped me. But I went back because I am trying to see if Google Now is worth it. You should aim for 1% per hour idle drain and ~95% deep sleep

fcng
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzaur View Post
lol I think he meant that he returned the phone and got a replacement, or a different phone.

If you want to be very specific about what is causing your drain, then get BetterBatteryStats. If you're rooted, you will see under Alarms the specific service that is causing wakelocks. Most likely it is Google Play Services. The battery drain sucks. Turn off Location reporting in Google Settings (and also turn off remote location under Android Device Manager). Pretty sure that doing both is what helped me. But I went back because I am trying to see if Google Now is worth it. You should aim for 1% per hour idle drain and ~95% deep sleep
I'm not rooted but thinking about it. Google Play Services had been tamed. What I did miss was the Android Device Manager. I just disabled it and see what happens in a few minutes when phone is left idle. Location Reporting I knew about before so I turned it off when I just got my N5. I'm at 1% every 15 minute interval. I was at 1% for 4hrs. at idle when I was using the N4 but not anymore.

mzaur
Old
Thanks Meter 55
1% per 15 is still way too much. Post your BBS log here. Charge and unplug your phone. Leave your phone idle for a while. Then post the log here. You don't have to be root