Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,008 Members 51,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What the F is keeping my phone awake?

Tip us?

krolla03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default What the F is keeping my phone awake?

Can someone please help me figure out what's keeping my phone awake. As you can see my screen is only on very little but my phone is turning on quite a bit. This happens a lot unless I'm connected to wifibfor an extended amount of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-39-20.png
Views:	135
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	2863640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-39-28.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	2863641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-39-36.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	2863642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-21-12-39-46.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2863643  

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolla03 View Post
Can someone please help me figure out what's keeping my phone awake. As you can see my screen is only on very little but my phone is turning on quite a bit. This happens a lot unless I'm connected to wifibfor an extended amount of time.
Probably Google Now and hotword detection. Also do you have WiFi "Scanning always available" on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

Saenchai
Old
(Last edited by Saenchai; 21st July 2014 at 10:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
I have a related problem and didnt want to open another post. Not sure, maybe its better to do that? Dont want to steal topic.

Also, im sorry but i cannot provide battery tesing app results since im not allowed to root it...and as far as i know root is need to detect wakelocks on kitkat.

But i can provide an error report. Maybe that helps the pros. This happens on a fresh Nexus 5, without any apps besides the preinstalled gApps.
But not constantly, it didnt happen the last 2 days before. Every time it happens it is after a longer period of use. For example if i dont use it a lot and manage to come 2 days with the battery cycle and then charge the mobile, it happens after charging. But it never happened yet when i use device a lot and charge it more frequently. But that can be a coincidence too, dont let you irritate by that now. 4.4.4 Android. But sure is that both times, the only 2 times, it happened right after pull out the charger.

This is pic and error report:

Occurence 1
a

Occurence 2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

Bugreport
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2...it?usp=sharing

krolla03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Should i turn off the "keep WiFi on during sleep"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-21-14-04-36.png
Views:	73
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	2863817  

Saenchai
Old
(Last edited by Saenchai; 21st July 2014 at 10:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Should i turn off the "keep WiFi on during sleep"
Depends on what you want to use when screen is off. It just means that wifi is alwayys on. If not, if your phone goes into standby mode the 3G connection takes over. If you have no special data rate you can let wifi on. Your active time is pretty normal for a phone. If auto-sync is on and google now and all that, maybe facebook or whatsapp or even more. Newsapps that push all that does this.

What i would more worry about is your signal. Its very low and probably uses alot of battery. If i recheck your pic i would probably really better let Wifi on if your at home at least, so your 3G connection doesnt always have to work so much. Of course all this is only if you want to have internet...if you know you wont use it anyway, turn it off.

Until its not like me screen above i would not worry too much.

krolla03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
I have google now turned off it was doing way to many wakelocks. I do have hotword on but if I'm correct it only listens when the screen is on. I'm having an issue when the screen is off the phone still keep a waking up.

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 20745
by the looks of it, its your apps and setup most likely. but its fairly normal, not that many wakeups/wakelocks as many others have. wakelocks are how our phones work, generally they are normal and expected. system apps/processes and user apps create them. only when the process thats associated with the wakeocks get stuck or run amuck, is when they are bad. and yours arent stuck, nor amuck.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

krolla03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
by the looks of it, its your apps and setup most likely. but its fairly normal, not that many wakeups/wakelocks as many others have. wakelocks are how our phones work, generally they are normal and expected. system apps/processes and user apps create them. only when the process thats associated with the wakeocks get stuck or run amuck, is when they are bad. and yours arent stuck, nor amuck.
Yeah I don't have many wakelocls but my phone is still awake 20% and the battery menu shows that the phone is waking up quite abit

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
Low signal data, Google Now location based cards and Battery Saver or High accuracy mode. This combination gives me the same awake lines as seen here.

Technically having the WiFi on (or "always scanning") should help so it's not solely reliant on the weak data signal, but it doesn't seem to.
W32

krolla03
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
Low signal data, Google Now location based cards and Battery Saver or High accuracy mode. This combination gives me the same awake lines as seen here.

Technically having the WiFi on (or "always scanning") should help so it's not solely reliant on the weak data signal, but it doesn't seem to.
I have google now turned off