Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Factory reset question

OP Jaggions

18th March 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Bergamo
Thanks Meter: 4

65 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi. I have a rooted Nexus 5 with stock ROM & kernel, Xposed installed and TWRP recovery. I'd like to do a factory reset, and by "factory reset" I mean I'd like to have it as if it was brand new. No apps, no media, etc. I think I can keep TWRP, but nothing else. I'd like to have it as it was the first time I powered it on. Can I do that from TWRP? Because I know that when you do a factory reset from recovery, usually, the /data/media directory isn't wiped.
18th March 2014, 04:08 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,905

11,196 posts
You can not do it from twrp. I'd recommend flashing the factory image and then rerooting.

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to jd1639 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th March 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Bergamo
Thanks Meter: 4

65 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

You can not do it from twrp. I'd recommend flashing the factory image and then rerooting.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ok, thank you.
18th March 2014, 09:18 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,288

3,197 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639

Sent from my Nexus 5

Maybe I can't read, but why won't factory reset + intsd wipe in TWRP do what he needs?
18th March 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #5  
Pittsburgh, PA.
Thanks Meter: 399

1,754 posts
More
I'm looking at TWRP right now and I'm not sure which option you would use, there's format data on the main wipe screen, and when you go into advanced there's internal storage. I'm thinking you want to wipe internal storage, but someone else with knowledge of this should chime in first before you do it. I've never factory restored a phone through recovery so I'm not sure. Wouldn't locking and unlocking your bootloader with ADB accomplish the same thing?
19th March 2014, 01:24 AM   |  #6  
Flag Droid
Thanks Meter: 218

888 posts
More
There is literally a sticky in one of the Nexus forums that explains how to go back to bone stock. check it out, should be everything you need.
19th March 2014, 01:32 AM   |  #7  
Pittsburgh, PA.

1,754 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain-N-Panic

There is literally a sticky in one of the Nexus forums that explains how to go back to bone stock. check it out, should be everything you need.

Right, but if you want to retain root and recovery like TWRP, can't you just format your storage through recovery?
19th March 2014, 02:45 AM   |  #8  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,797

24,973 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

Maybe I can't read, but why won't factory reset + intsd wipe in TWRP do what he needs?

OP was not explicit. Asked for it to be like first time powered on which I suspect was not with a custom rom or kernel. Think OP needs to elaborate on what is desired but no recovery can replace rom and kernel with the "factory reset" option

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
19th March 2014, 02:48 AM   |  #9  
Pittsburgh, PA.

1,754 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

OP was not explicit. Asked for it to be like first time powered on which I suspect was not with a custom rom or kernel. Think OP needs to elaborate on what is desired but no recovery can replace rom and kernel with the "factory reset" option

It seems he want's to go completely back to stock while keeping TWRP.
19th March 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #10  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,797

24,973 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1.8matt

It seems he want's to go completely back to stock while keeping TWRP.

Yes. That's how it reads to me

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread