Document the Story of Your Social Life with 8tory

The different forms of social media are growing every day. It’s hard to imagine a day … more

Make Calling Your Loved Ones Easier and Cheaper this Diwali

Diwali, or Deepawali as some Indians call it, is the pride and joy of Indian … more

Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Fastest way to transfer files from Nexus 5 to PC [Without ROOT]

OP Sagar Khanapurkar

7th August 2014, 11:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

157 posts
More
Hello !!

Google just brutally pulled out USB Mass Storage, not a good thing for users who don't root their phone. As you all know that MTP (Media transfer Protocol) is slow and frustrating and neither USB Mass Storage works on Nexus 5 so is there any way to transfer files at "HIGHEST POSSIBLE SPEED" between Nexus and PC ??

I'm tired of hunting, some help would be great

Thank you )
7th August 2014, 12:04 PM   |  #2  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 12,218

23,237 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagar Khanapurkar

Hello !!

Google just brutally pulled out USB Mass Storage, not a good thing for users who don't root their phone. As you all know that MTP (Media transfer Protocol) is slow and frustrating and neither USB Mass Storage works on Nexus 5 so is there any way to transfer files at "HIGHEST POSSIBLE SPEED" between Nexus and PC ??

I'm tired of hunting, some help would be great

Thank you )

They didn't just "brutally pull out" mass storage at all. Mass storage can still be used if you have an actual sdcard.

The problem is in fact that if you use the fuse file system to share /sdcard data space, which is the only method that works well, mass storage would be impossible.

Unfortunately this means that we're stuck with MTP and we all share the same issues. It needs vast improvement. This is a bi-product of using fuse unfortunately. You can't mount usb ass storage a fuse /sdcard because its on the /data partition and you cannot rip the data partition out whilst its in use, which is what mass storage would require

You have 2 options. Adb push / pull (see thread available via my signature) or using WiFi to transfer.

There are loads of apps that are available to do transfer over the network. Personally I just use a file explorer. Fastest? Adb because its wired but its not the simplest

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk < Yes, I want you to know that I'm using a mobile client
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2014, 12:10 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

157 posts
More
I'll go with adb push / pull !! since it's the fastest available source.
7th August 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #4  

23,237 posts
More
Quote:

I'll go with adb push / pull !! since it's the fastest available source.

Have a look at my thread "adb and fastboot. What is it?" Which you can get yo via the sticky thread on my signature.

I've not used it unrooted so I can't say if /data/media/0 works or if /sdcard is better. But please let me know how you get on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk < Yes, I want you to know that I'm using a mobile client
7th August 2014, 12:17 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

157 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

Have a look at my thread "adb and fastboot. What is it?" Which you can get yo via the sticky thread on my signature.

I've not used it unrooted so I can't say if /data/media/0 works or if /sdcard is better. But please let me know how you get on.

Can't I just pull /internal storage (( I know adb will be having different parameters)), but what I want to do is pull each and every single file which is on my 32 GB Nexus, I don't want system files, all I want is my files... ?
7th August 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #6  

23,237 posts
More
Quote:

Can't I just pull /internal storage (( I know adb will be having different parameters)), but what I want to do is pull each and every single file which is on my 32 GB Nexus, I don't want system files, all I want is my files... ?

Your files are on /sdcard which mounts on /data/media/0

Not really sure what you're asking. I haven't mentioned system files, which you wouldnt be able to access without root anyway.

7th August 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,129

4,647 posts
More
Yeah, OP, just `adb pull /sdcard/ <dest folder>`.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Nexus 5 Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank