Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Has anyone figured out changing default dialer app on Nexus 5?

Tip us?

kapiroski
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Has anyone figured out changing default dialer app on Nexus 5?

Really, has anyone figured it out? For example if I install ExDialer and get a missed call notification, I always have to choose the default app to view it. It seems impossible to set ExDialer (or any other 3rd party app) as the default for opening the call history. There is always the extra tap to choose the app.

Anyone, solution? I have read the whole internet and can't find the workaround.

I can't get to really like the new KitKat dialer, want to use ExDialer ...

svnoln
Old
Thanks Meter 381
What happens if you freeze the stock dialer?

NEXUS 1 EVERVOLV KK444 XPOSED TWRP
NEXUS 5 STOCK KK444 FK XPOSED TWRP

kapiroski
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipTD View Post
What happens if you freeze the stock dialer?
Well, there's two things that can be disabled. One is the Phone app. The other is the Google Dialer app. If I disable Phone then there's no difference. If I disable the Dialer app then I can open the missed calls well with exDialer but if there's an incoming call then there's no sign of it except for the led being on (I assume the Google Dialer app is responsible for displaying incoming calls and the answer/decline buttons).

So I must have the Google Dialer app running but that means I can't use ExDialer.

kapiroski
Old
(Last edited by kapiroski; 31st March 2014 at 06:43 AM.) Reason: posted twice by accident
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
removed message - posted twice by accident

eodchn
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiroski View Post
Really, has anyone figured it out? For example if I install ExDialer and get a missed call notification, I always have to choose the default app to view it. It seems impossible to set ExDialer (or any other 3rd party app) as the default for opening the call history. There is always the extra tap to choose the app.

Anyone, solution? I have read the whole internet and can't find the workaround.

I can't get to really like the new KitKat dialer, want to use ExDialer ...
my problem exactly as well (well may be like most other who use exdialer or any other alternate) any fix ??

kapiroski
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodchn View Post
my problem exactly as well (well may be like most other who use exdialer or any other alternate) any fix ??
I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out. I've lost my hopes. There is no way to do that. I've even been flashing several different roms to test this out. Can't believe so few people are actually discussing this.