Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 38,335 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Rooted, 4.4.3 = Error?

Tip us?

CIarkness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Rooted, 4.4.3 = Error?

Sorry if I am no expert. But I rooted my phone on 4.4.2, today I got the 4.4.3 update, so I downloaded it. I use SuperSU, so I turned on the survival mode, which was meant to keep my phone rooted through the update.

I run stock rom with franco kernel. Now from what I understand, I can install OTA's but that usually would overwrite the root privileges and stuff. Anyways, so I turned on survival mode on SuperSU and ran the update. I was installing, and then got the Error Android icon, the phone eventually started back up after few minutes of that screen.

When I check my root access it's still there, however, under the version of the system it's still 4.4.2 and I don't see anymore updates.

Sorry if I am new to this, but can someone explain rather or not the update pushed through, if not is my system currently messed up in anyways? And what should I do from here in order to get 4.4.3 kitkat.

Thanks!

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIarkness View Post
Sorry if I am no expert. But I rooted my phone on 4.4.2, today I got the 4.4.3 update, so I downloaded it. I use SuperSU, so I turned on the survival mode, which was meant to keep my phone rooted through the update.

I run stock rom with franco kernel. Now from what I understand, I can install OTA's but that usually would overwrite the root privileges and stuff. Anyways, so I turned on survival mode on SuperSU and ran the update. I was installing, and then got the Error Android icon, the phone eventually started back up after few minutes of that screen.

When I check my root access it's still there, however, under the version of the system it's still 4.4.2 and I don't see anymore updates.

Sorry if I am new to this, but can someone explain rather or not the update pushed through, if not is my system currently messed up in anyways? And what should I do from here in order to get 4.4.3 kitkat.

Thanks!
Your answer can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-desk-t2523217. It is a Stickied Thread in the General section. Short answer: You need to flash the stock kernel or else the update will fail everytime. Give that thread a read (or at least the first post), and please search next time prior to posting.

CIarkness
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by charesa39 View Post
Your answer can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...-desk-t2523217. It is a Stickied Thread in the General section. Short answer: You need to flash the stock kernel or else the update will fail everytime. Give that thread a read (or at least the first post), and please search next time prior to posting.
Thanks, and sorry new to the forum. But I will make sure to ready all the stickies.

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIarkness View Post
Thanks, and sorry new to the forum. But I will make sure to ready all the stickies.
No worries. You'd be surprised how many times I've done a search and realized there were plenty of other people that had been in the same exact type of sticky situation I had been in at the time. You can definitely learn a lot from the stickies. That's how I learned all the basics about ADB and Fastboot, which is why I prefer to flash everything manually instead of using toolkits. There are some pretty knowledgeable people roaming these here forums.

Welcome to XDA!

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1,633
Just flash it as a flashable zip in recovery (found in development forum by vomer)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk