Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,700 Members 43,598 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can flashing a Kernel not meant for your device brick the phone?

Tip us?

ranarn
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhojit View Post
So, I stupidly flashed RenderBroken's Custom Kernel for CM11/AoCP/OmniRom & SlimKat on my Nexus 5 running latest CM11 without checking its meant for AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-I777.

After hitting reboot upon successful flashing Nexus5 went off and doesnt boot at all.

Doesnt get into fastboot or even download mode!

When connect charger, nothing happens and on connecting to PC only shows on device manager as unknown device!

Any way to fix? Or need to take it for repairs?

PLEASE ASSIST!

I did the same, flashed a non CAF kernel to my CAF based rom, and it didnt boot.
But i could atleast see the google logo in the beginning so i was able to get into fastboot mode and flash another kernel.

So if its completly dead/blank then you need service, if you still have an ok bootloader and sees the google logo you should be able to get into fastboot mode.

hold both volume buttons pressed, and then try to start it up by holding the power button.
( i had to hold the power button for 10+sec for it to start/turn off)

Subhojit
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranarn View Post
I did the same, flashed a non CAF kernel to my CAF based rom, and it didnt boot.
But i could atleast see the google logo in the beginning so i was able to get into fastboot mode and flash another kernel.

So if its completly dead/blank then you need service, if you still have an ok bootloader and sees the google logo you should be able to get into fastboot mode.

hold both volume buttons pressed, and then try to start it up by holding the power button.
( i had to hold the power button for 10+sec for it to start/turn off)
No, this a CAF based kernel but for an unsupported CAF based ROM. :|

It won't get into bootloader/download mode and service is the only option for me!

LibertyMarine
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhojit View Post
No, this a CAF based kernel but for an unsupported CAF based ROM. :|

It won't get into bootloader/download mode and service is the only option for me!
ok, I am here to choose a device (comparing and looking for errors) and I'm just curious if you normally flashed it ?

so did you flash only the boot image ? or does this package flash other paritions ?

because as far as I know you can flash whatever you want into your boot image... this shouldn't affect the bootloader .. or I am completely wrong ?
Feel free to hit the thanks button if I helped
Remember - Quote or mention me if you expect an answer!
[GUIDE][FIX] Solve Bootloops and no OS on phone!

Proud owner of a 315p Explorer

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine View Post
ok, I am here to choose a device (comparing and looking for errors) and I'm just curious if you normally flashed it ?

so did you flash only the boot image ? or does this package flash other paritions ?

because as far as I know you can flash whatever you want into your boot image... this shouldn't affect the bootloader .. or I am completely wrong ?
It all depends. It wont overwrite the bootloader but flashing kernels from other devices can short out components, fry them completely and brick the NAND, si yeah

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LibertyMarine
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
It all depends. It wont overwrite the bootloader but flashing kernels from other devices can short out components, fry them completely and brick the NAND, si yeah

ok, this does actually mean that the bootloader loads some modules from the kernel to boot up ?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10676
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyMarine View Post
ok, this does actually mean that the bootloader loads some modules from the kernel to boot up ?
No, the bootloader tends to have all the kernel elements it needs to boot, but if the NAND is fried that hosts the bootloader or other hardware the bootloader requires to boot, well you're out of luck.

A true brick will mean the device is damaged at a hardware (or firmware of hardware) level. I personally don't believe in such things as "soft bricks". Kernels can most definitely (true / hard) brick a device. The amount of people I saw fry their digitiser chip on the s3 by flashing note 2 kernels and recoveries was absolutely ridiculous. You see, the note 2 digitiser needs much more power than the s3 so the kernel allowed note 2 amounts of power through, frying the chip. This could happen on literally any component if you think about it...

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LibertyMarine
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
No, the bootloader tends to have all the kernel elements it needs to boot, but if the NAND is fried that hosts the bootloader or other hardware the bootloader requires to boot, well you're out of luck.

A true brick will mean the device is damaged at a hardware (or firmware of hardware) level. I personally don't believe in such things as "soft bricks". Kernels can most definitely (true / hard) brick a device. The amount of people I saw fry their digitiser chip on the s3 by flashing note 2 kernels and recoveries was absolutely ridiculous. You see, the note 2 digitiser needs much more power than the s3 so the kernel allowed note 2 amounts of power through, frying the chip. This could happen on literally any component if you think about it...

ah, ok.. now I understand... so basically you could flash a fish as a boot image.... it doesn't brick your device... but if you boot your device and the boot image is getting loaded and this particular fish boot image has the tendency to exaggerate the amount of power given to the motherboard... your device gets toasted... but if you would boot to the bootloader right after flashing the boot image from recovery... you wouldn't get a bricked device ?

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10676
Possibly. But also just flashing something can destroy partitions on the NAND too. In fact, there are so many things that could go wrong but yes in the case of over supply of power as an example, not booting it would save the device

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Subhojit
Old
(Last edited by Subhojit; 13th February 2014 at 02:49 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Possibly. But also just flashing something can destroy partitions on the NAND too. In fact, there are so many things that could go wrong but yes in the case of over supply of power as an example, not booting it would save the device

Thanks for the information shared!

Hoping that the LG Service guys don't find out I did something as you mentioned it is a h/w (f/w) level issue.

LibertyMarine
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:

ok, thanks very much

sorry that I somehow missed your answer.. I've just pushed the thanks button as some kind of thanks

Have a great weekend !