Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,050 Members 42,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing a Kernel via Recovery vs ADB

Tip us?

Silicon Knight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Default Flashing a Kernel via Recovery vs ADB

I was curious as to any difference between flashing a Kernel via ADB using a boot.img or flashing it as a .zip via recovery. Is there a benefit of one over the other. I've always done it via ADB, but I recently tried via a zip file through TWRP but didn't notice any difference, but wasn't sure if I was just being oblivious or not lol

I heard someone mention that when flashing it via ADB you don't get the Modules that come with the Kernel. Which I don't know if that was BS or not, cause as I stated, after trying it both ways, I didn't notice any features taken away i.e. flashed bricked kernel via ADB and then restored stock kernel and then flashed bricked via TWRP, and I was able to activate DT2W/S2W regardless of the method of flashing, as well as OC capabilities, Fast Charge, etc etc.

Just been curious about this for awhile, and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so was unable to find an answer. Dev's always seem to give you the option to download a boot.img or .zip file, and wasn't sure if htat was just due to giving peopel the choice of preferred flashing method, or because of inherit benefits between the two.

Chromium
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5,947

DONATE TO ME
Its simply 2 different options of installation. The final result is the same: a boot.img gets extracted and written onto the appropriate partition of your device.

When you use fastboot to flash the img. the executable on your computer does this directly.
When you use a recovery to flash the zip (which also contains the boot.img), the edify script within the zip gives instructions to the recovery on how and where to write the image to.

There isnt really any advantage to doing one over the other.

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon Knight View Post
I was curious as to any difference between flashing a Kernel via ADB using a boot.img or flashing it as a .zip via recovery. Is there a benefit of one over the other. I've always done it via ADB, but I recently tried via a zip file through TWRP but didn't notice any difference, but wasn't sure if I was just being oblivious or not lol

I heard someone mention that when flashing it via ADB you don't get the Modules that come with the Kernel. Which I don't know if that was BS or not, cause as I stated, after trying it both ways, I didn't notice any features taken away i.e. flashed bricked kernel via ADB and then restored stock kernel and then flashed bricked via TWRP, and I was able to activate DT2W/S2W regardless of the method of flashing, as well as OC capabilities, Fast Charge, etc etc.

Just been curious about this for awhile, and there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it, so was unable to find an answer. Dev's always seem to give you the option to download a boot.img or .zip file, and wasn't sure if htat was just due to giving peopel the choice of preferred flashing method, or because of inherit benefits between the two.
Fastboot is the tool to which you are referring to, not ADB. You use fastboot to flash image files to partitions directly through the bootloader. That being said, there's no difference which method you use, the end result is the same. Using fastboot requires an unlocked bootloader, flashing through the recovery does not. When you flash a zip through the recovery, the proper destination partition is automatically overwritten whereas when you flash an image in fastboot, you have to specify the proper partition. That's the only real difference.
Current Device

Previous Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4
LG Xenon
Motorola Slvr L7
Motorola T720
Nokia 3360

ElementalX Kernel
The Following User Says Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Silicon Knight
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14

DONATE TO ME
Excuse me, Fastboot is what I meant yes. My bad lol.

Thanks for the info, I figured as much. Im experienced with both methods and understand how they work. Just wasn't sure if there was a benefit over one or the other when it comes to flashing custom kernels. Thanks bro I appreciate the help. I will stick to flashing via fastboot then. I just prefer to do it that way.

I also use flashify sometimes as well. Seems to work pretty good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AXDFREEDOM
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromium_ View Post
Its simply 2 different options of installation. The final result is the same: a boot.img gets extracted and written onto the appropriate partition of your device.

When you use fastboot to flash the img. the executable on your computer does this directly.
When you use a recovery to flash the zip (which also contains the boot.img), the edify script within the zip gives instructions to the recovery on how and where to write the image to.

There isnt really any advantage to doing one over the other.
i have a locked bootloader but i have root, can i "flash" throught root explorer overwriting boot.img file?
and reboot?
LG L5 E610 KITKAT 4.4.4 CYANOGENMOD11 - Here to learn! OptimaTeam
Ask/Reply me, I was born to help you! Please THANKS ME

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXD96 View Post
i have a locked bootloader but i have root, can i "flash" throught root explorer overwriting boot.img file?
and reboot?
Root explorer is not a flashing tool and no, it cannot modify the kernel

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

AXDFREEDOM
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Root explorer is not a flashing tool and no, it cannot modify the kernel

maybe a stupid question, but the kernel is all saved in boot.img?
LG L5 E610 KITKAT 4.4.4 CYANOGENMOD11 - Here to learn! OptimaTeam
Ask/Reply me, I was born to help you! Please THANKS ME

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXD96 View Post
maybe a stupid question, but the kernel is all saved in boot.img?
Yep Indeed. What you can browse is /sys, which are the "files" the kernel manipulates to do what it wants...

..but browsing here is of no benefit to changing a kernel

Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.

jball
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Unlock your device and just use the a custom recovery.

praveenkumarkm8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default can we change kernel alone

i am using SENSONIC with stock kernel can i change kernel alone.

I want to change to franco kernel . Is it enough installing zip using recovery or i have to do fresh install of the ROM.........

Thanks in advance.