Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,028 Members 37,659 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any forklift drivers experiencing this problem too?

Tip us?

flomexico
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Default [Q] Any forklift drivers experiencing this problem too?

Hi all, I'm a forklift operator and I have a problem when I'm on my lift. I set my phone down on the tray, which is directly above the battery by about 10 inches, and the screen will randomly turn on by itself. If I'm off the lift, I don't have this problem. I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but is it possible that 2 ton, 1875 amp-hour battery is giving off enough of a magnetic field to trip a sensor somewhere in the phone? There's plenty of wires and metal, but it's really the only thing I can think of. My old EVO 3D did this too sometimes, but I chalked it up to being a bad ground somewhere along the line.

Anybody else share this issue on their lifts or similar machinery?
I totally just realized that the majority of my thanked posts are from where I posted my "3D seatbelt pic".

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
The nexus 5 does have the smart cover sensor so that is likely the behavior you are describing but I wouldn't have expected a fork lift to be giving off that strong of a magnetic field to interfere with it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

shilton.charles
Old
Thanks Meter 8
as alex said i dont think its the forklift....
this is most likely linked to your proximity censor...

Alex240188
Old
Thanks Meter 635
The smart cover sensor is magnetic. It shouldn't have anything to do with the proximity sensor.
It's just weird why it's triggering your phone.
Your forklift could use some form of magnetic resistance for lowering which would might explain the triggering

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex240188 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,744
I've seen all sorts of proximity to random items trigger the hall effect sensor using magnetism. It's fairly common.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WarRaven
Old
Thanks Meter 278
Magnetic hydraulic servos on some forklift, very strong localized magnetic fields in places.

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WarRaven For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flomexico
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 88
Appreciate the replies. I tested the magnetometer with STools and it does seem like there's a magnetic field towards the front of the lift. At least, the lines moved a lot more. So when you say magnetic resistance, makes sense. One more question, does anybody have any ideas of how to potentially block it? I plug into a speaker while I'm working so that's why my phone sits there. The brass gets real uppity about earbuds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I totally just realized that the majority of my thanked posts are from where I posted my "3D seatbelt pic".

WarRaven
Old
Thanks Meter 278
You'd need a Faraday cage or the like, then you'd essentially have no cell at all.
Grab a BT speaker perhaps, some crank out near 100 watts an can be heard easily in a small cab wirelessly.
Or a longer patch cord.

WR

Sent from my Nexus 5