Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,161 Members 52,495 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does the free franco kernel app do anything for the battery and performance?

Tip us?

AliMusa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Does the free franco kernel app do anything for the battery and performance?

I see the free version and then the $5.49 version. I know the paid version has more features but does the free version do anything to benefit the phones battery usage and overall performance? Also, if I were to purchase the paid version, does just installing help? Or do I have to do my own tweaking?

simms22
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 21,418
you have to set it up according to your usages and your needs. all our devices vary, as well as how we use our phones. there is no such thing as one setup being good for all phones, usages, and needs. you have to set it up how you like it.
Google+ Profile
Twitter Simms22
DerKernel For Trinity kernels and more!

AliMusa
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22 View Post
you have to set it up according to your usages and your needs. all our devices vary, as well as how we use our phones. there is no such thing as one setup being good for all phones, usages, and needs. you have to set it up how you like it.
How easy is it to set up for a complete noob? I've never used a kernel of any sort before.

AGiLiT
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMusa View Post
I see the free version and then the $5.49 version. I know the paid version has more features but does the free version do anything to benefit the phones battery usage and overall performance? Also, if I were to purchase the paid version, does just installing help? Or do I have to do my own tweaking?
What you really want is the Franco kernel. That's what will deliver the battery usage and performance improvements you're looking for. It's designed to be flash and forget and a lot of people use it as is. Many, many people get the paid app just to support Franco in his work. I don't believe the free app has been updated to work with the Nexus 5. The paid version will, and will allow you to make all the settings changes your heart desires.

You can read up on both the kernel and the app here: Franco Kernel and FKU Learner Lounge

Ben36
Old
Thanks Meter 1,631
Yea if you're worried about setting up etc. Don't. Just flash the franco kernel and leave it. Its already pre set very good

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LayZ85
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Is it true that GEL does not perform well with custom kernels? I really want to switch to Franco or Faux's kernel as I want to fix the gamma problem and improve sound output, but I honestly love the stock launcher and am reluctant to switch...I have Nova premium and love the customizability but stock looks so much better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389940513475.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2521143   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389940526253.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2521144  

AGiLiT
Old
Thanks Meter 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayZ85 View Post
Is it true that GEL does not perform well with custom kernels? I really want to switch to Franco or Faux's kernel as I want to fix the gamma problem and improve sound output, but I honestly love the stock launcher and am reluctant to switch...I have Nova premium and love the customizability but stock looks so much better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Franco kernel works just fine with stock. GEL works no problem.