Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

[Q] Does the free franco kernel app do anything for the battery and performance?

16th January 2014, 07:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

71 posts
I see the free version and then the $5.49 version. I know the paid version has more features but does the free version do anything to benefit the phones battery usage and overall performance? Also, if I were to purchase the paid version, does just installing help? Or do I have to do my own tweaking?
16th January 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 21,589

25,966 posts
you have to set it up according to your usages and your needs. all our devices vary, as well as how we use our phones. there is no such thing as one setup being good for all phones, usages, and needs. you have to set it up how you like it.
16th January 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simms22

you have to set it up according to your usages and your needs. all our devices vary, as well as how we use our phones. there is no such thing as one setup being good for all phones, usages, and needs. you have to set it up how you like it.

How easy is it to set up for a complete noob? I've never used a kernel of any sort before.
16th January 2014, 08:14 PM   |  #4  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 192

690 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMusa

I see the free version and then the $5.49 version. I know the paid version has more features but does the free version do anything to benefit the phones battery usage and overall performance? Also, if I were to purchase the paid version, does just installing help? Or do I have to do my own tweaking?

What you really want is the Franco kernel. That's what will deliver the battery usage and performance improvements you're looking for. It's designed to be flash and forget and a lot of people use it as is. Many, many people get the paid app just to support Franco in his work. I don't believe the free app has been updated to work with the Nexus 5. The paid version will, and will allow you to make all the settings changes your heart desires.

You can read up on both the kernel and the app here: Franco Kernel and FKU Learner Lounge
17th January 2014, 06:23 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,653

5,957 posts
Yea if you're worried about setting up etc. Don't. Just flash the franco kernel and leave it. Its already pre set very good

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
17th January 2014, 06:36 AM   |  #6  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 8

26 posts
More
Is it true that GEL does not perform well with custom kernels? I really want to switch to Franco or Faux's kernel as I want to fix the gamma problem and improve sound output, but I honestly love the stock launcher and am reluctant to switch...I have Nova premium and love the customizability but stock looks so much better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389940513475.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2521143   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1389940526253.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2521144  
17th January 2014, 03:05 PM   |  #7  
Flag Houston, TX
Thanks Meter: 192

690 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayZ85

Is it true that GEL does not perform well with custom kernels? I really want to switch to Franco or Faux's kernel as I want to fix the gamma problem and improve sound output, but I honestly love the stock launcher and am reluctant to switch...I have Nova premium and love the customizability but stock looks so much better...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Franco kernel works just fine with stock. GEL works no problem.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread