Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,479 Members 49,374 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G+ battery issues

Tip us?

maxpower7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528
Default G+ battery issues

Does anyone have any pointers for how to prevent Google+ from destroying my battery life? I have a bunch of space on Dropbox that's going to be expiring soon (and I'm not willing to pay their prices for extra storage), so I thought G+ photo backup would work well for me because I can get 100gb of storage for 2 bucks a month. But it has TOTALLY ruined my battery life. It seems to be aways running in the background regardless of whether it's actually backing anything up. I even set it up to only do backups when the phone is plugged in and on wifi, but the app is still running all the time. I have no idea what it's doing, but my standby time is crap now.

Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong or what I could do differently? I'm getting close to disabling the app again. Thanks!

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2766
Disable it....use your browser. That is always the best advice.

Terrible app.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....
Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

maxpower7
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Disable it....use your browser. That is always the best advice.

Terrible app.

I'm not talking about actually using G+ itself. I'm talking about photo backup. I can't do that with the website.

MaCroX95
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower7 View Post
Does anyone have any pointers for how to prevent Google+ from destroying my battery life? I have a bunch of space on Dropbox that's going to be expiring soon (and I'm not willing to pay their prices for extra storage), so I thought G+ photo backup would work well for me because I can get 100gb of storage for 2 bucks a month. But it has TOTALLY ruined my battery life. It seems to be aways running in the background regardless of whether it's actually backing anything up. I even set it up to only do backups when the phone is plugged in and on wifi, but the app is still running all the time. I have no idea what it's doing, but my standby time is crap now.

Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong or what I could do differently? I'm getting close to disabling the app again. Thanks!
Hmmmm you could try to fix it with greenify for hibernating the app if you really prefer keeping it...

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower7 View Post
I'm not talking about actually using G+ itself. I'm talking about photo backup. I can't do that with the website.
Backup to drive maybe? Anything to do with Google plus will take its share of the battery.

And keep drive greenified too.

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 3 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips