5,598,718 Members 38,447 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Open gap at front / faulty unit?

Tip us?

Mayflex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Open gap at front / faulty unit?

I have noticed a really annoying problem with my N5
On the bottom front side, there is this nasty gap between the screen glass and the housing (marked in red in the picture).

It has a diameter of about a third of a milimeter and is diligently collecting dust and dirt. To make things worse, it is nearly not possible to get the dirt out of it again, since it is to small for the fingernails. I always have to use the edge of a paper to clean it up

Does anybody else have this gap?
If not, I'll contact Google to get a replacement.

adriangb
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I don't
The Following User Says Thank You to adriangb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tengaionis
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default stag

Now that you mention it, I believe the "lower" seems a bit wider than the others.
However no dust-collecting at all - at least not more the the other gaps.

Also I never experience much dust-collecting in contrast to many other users. (May be due to using ALWAYS a sleeve when I put it in my pocket.)
The Following User Says Thank You to tengaionis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

richport29
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Mine is like that to. It's a pain to clean it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to richport29 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

matteventu
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Mine has the gap on the bottom too... I use a thin needle to remove the parts of dust from there.

I hope LG will assembly the cover better, with no gap, in the future revisions...
Excuseme for my poor english
HTC Polaris - Galaxy Ace Plus - HTC Desire - Acer Liquid MT - Nexus S - Galaxy Ace 2 - Moto G - Xperia T - Galaxy Nexus - Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to matteventu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yohanevindra
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I contacted Google Play support and indicated the problem, because I also have the gap at the bottom. I need to use a piece of paper to remove the dust.

I had to send them photos, and now they say that they will replace the phone. Two friends of mine (one got the white 32gb, and one got the black 32gb) dont have the gap, but myself and another friend who ordered the black 32gb on the very first day have the gap. So may be it is a production defect that possibly may be fixed now?
The Following User Says Thank You to yohanevindra For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mayflex
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Just contacted Google... replacement unit is on its way

The Google Play replacement service is really great! This is a better service than you could expect from a local store.

Tags
dust, faulty unit, gap, nexus 5