Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,393 Members 52,896 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Getting OTA's after flashing custom recovery

Tip us?

firefiber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default Getting OTA's after flashing custom recovery

Hi guys,

I just got my Nexus 5 (I had an HTC One S, which got stolen - the most beautiful phone EVER!).

I was just wondering, if I root and flash a custom recovery, how would I get OTA's? Would I need to re-root, and flash the stock recovery again? Would that work?

Now before everyone jumps on me, I DID read this thread about going back to stock, but it says, quote,
Quote:
either when you want to RMA your phone, or you want to fix your mistakes.
. Does this mean I CAN'T get OTA's even if I flash back to stock?

Please let me know! Because I want to get Xposed, but I need to make a back up first, and to do that, I need a custom recovery (that's not the only reason, just one).

Thanks!

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,461
Go to general and search "ota help-desk". It tells you all about it.

Edit... oh you are in general. You confused me by asking a question. Questions don't go in general.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nxt
Old
Thanks Meter 329
You can always go back to stock by downloading the stock images directly from Google. You don't need to back up anything.
OTAs won't work if you have custom recovery. All you have to do is flash the stock recovery and you're good to go.
You can extract the stock recovery from the Google image I mentioned above.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to nxt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Hammer_Of_The_Gods Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,

All is here: [INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firefiber
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Holy crap, that was quick! Thanks guys! Got it, so I can flash a custom recovery, do what I need to do, and then flash back to stock when there's an OTA. Perfect!

And sorry about the not asking questions in the General section, didn't know! My bad!

Thanks again!
The Following User Says Thank You to firefiber For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 123
When there's an update, you can download the patches from the OTA help desk thread, or you can just flash the latest version of the factory image if you don't mind reinstalling your apps (probably better this way).
Current Device

Previous Devices

Samsung Galaxy S4
LG Xenon
Motorola Slvr L7
Motorola T720
Nokia 3360

ElementalX Kernel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BirchBarlow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]