Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,379 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Not Detecting My Nexus 5

Tip us?

ant_129
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Google Not Detecting My Nexus 5

Ok so I have a weird problem that I could not find a solution googling for a few hours. I got a nexus 5 back in February. According to "My Devices" on the google play store site it was registered on Feb 25th and shows last used on Feb 27th. I have noticed that I couldn't remotely install apps from the site but haven't tried to trouble shoot it until now. Also the android device manager does not work. I am rooted but using the stock ROM. I've been using the phone itself with no problems. I get app updates, use the google+ picture auto backup and other services on the phone. The only problem seems to be that I am not linked to the google play website with the nexus 5. Anyone seen or heard anything like this?

I tried this below but it didn't work:

Quote:
Open Google Settings from your device's apps menu.
Touch Android Device Manager.
Uncheck Allow remote factory reset.
Go to your device's main Settings menu, then touch Apps > All < Google Play services.
Touch Clear Data. Note that this action doesn't remove personal data.
Go back to Google Settings and select Allow remote factory reset.
Restart your device.
you might have to unselect remote factory reset to clear data in Google play services. After clear data the go back in select it again, reboot you should be good to go.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,353
Every time it unlinked for me I just installed an App from the Play Store on my Nexus 5, and it would link again and I could install remotely through the Desktop website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

ant_129
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Hmmm I wish that were the case. I just installed an app yesterday after the remote link didn't work and I have tried again since. I've also removed my google account and added it back. Looks like a factory reset is in my future. Some things I've done that may have affected it:

Restore apps (not system) from titanium backup
Installed Xposed
Use of OpenVPN

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_129 View Post
Hmmm I wish that were the case. I just installed an app yesterday after the remote link didn't work and I have tried again since. I've also removed my google account and added it back. Looks like a factory reset is in my future. Some things I've done that may have affected it:

Restore apps (not system) from titanium backup
Installed Xposed
Use of OpenVPN
Titanium Backup and Xposed should not affect it. OpenVPN, I'm not sure about, but I HIGHLY doubt it would be the cause. Try removing your Google account from Settings and setting it up again.
Quote:
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lethargy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krs360
Old
(Last edited by krs360; 17th April 2014 at 10:19 AM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Titanium Backup... should not affect it.
Titanium Backup WILL affect it - when you first loaded it on it would have asked you if you wanted to restore the device ID.

Open Titanium, press menu, chose the Manage Android ID, and restore your original ID. Then hit Market Update Helper, that will rebuild the market links.

Edit: Actually, maybe you don't want to restore - where did the original backup come from? Was it a Nexus 5? Maybe you already did restore the original, and it was from a different device??

The Following User Says Thank You to krs360 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ant_129
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by krs360 View Post
Titanium Backup WILL affect it - when you first loaded it on it would have asked you if you wanted to restore the device ID.

Open Titanium, press menu, chose the Manage Android ID, and restore your original ID. Then hit Market Update Helper, that will rebuild the market links.

Edit: Actually, maybe you don't want to restore - where did the original backup come from? Was it a Nexus 5? Maybe you already did restore the original, and it was from a different device??
Yeah I moved non system apps from a CM10 GS3. I thought about the Android ID as well. I generated a new one yesterday just to see if it fixed my problem. No luck. I am going to factory reset tonight. I'll post the results soon after I get everything up and running and confirm. Thanks for the suggestions.

krs360
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Yeah I moved non system apps from a CM10 GS3. I thought about the Android ID as well. I generated a new one yesterday just to see if it fixed my problem. No luck. I am going to factory reset tonight. I'll post the results soon after I get everything up and running and confirm. Thanks for the suggestions.
Try re-building the market links through Tibu first.. might work?

ant_129
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Factory reset worked. I wish I knew what happened. I did a combination restore of my apps via the nexus 5 toolkit and titanium backup. The toolkit didn't get them all. I have not tried Xposed again. I may wait a bit and see if that was the cause.

joannn
Old
(Last edited by joannn; 18th April 2014 at 09:32 AM.) Reason: spelling mistake
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 13
Default Titanium Backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs360 View Post

YES.I does agree Titanium Backup will affect it and have a option of restoring the device ID.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,353
Quote:
Factory reset worked. I wish I knew what happened. I did a combination restore of my apps via the nexus 5 toolkit and titanium backup. The toolkit didn't get them all. I have not tried Xposed again. I may wait a bit and see if that was the cause.
Highly doubt Xposed would cause since I've been using it for a long time. As previously said, it was probably Titanium Backup messing with your ID.
Quote: