Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 47,114 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Hangouts - unacceptable loading time

Tip us?
 
setspeed
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Posts: 931
Join Date: May 2009
Default Google Hangouts - unacceptable loading time

Had my N5 for quite a while now and I have only ONE issue with it - Hangouts. It takes ages to load, sometimes as much as 5 seconds. Every single other app is fine, but Hangouts just infuriates me. Am I the only person with this problem?

I'm running Cataclysm and Franco atm, but this was exactly the same when my phone was completely stock. I'm on Dalvik as well, because I can't give up Xposed.
--------------------------------------
POSSIBLY MY NEXT
Moto X+1

CURRENT
Phone :: Google Nexus 5
ROM :: Mahdi-ROM 2.5
Kernel: ElementalX

RETIRED / SOLD / STOPPED WORKING
Phone :: Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, TMobile G1

BRIEFLY FLIRTED WITH
Phone :: Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S i9000, Google Nexus 1
 
jj14
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 142
Posts: 597
Join Date: Mar 2008
How many messages do you have? If you have several thousand messages, that might be causing the delay in loading
 
mistahseller
Old
#3  
mistahseller's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 192
Posts: 793
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Saint Louis
I have never seen any thread about this before so it must be isolated to you. Hangouts was superquick for me but I uninstalled it in favor of textra.
 
setspeed
Old
#4  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132
Posts: 931
Join Date: May 2009
I have about 500 messages in there. I've dumped it now anyway, gone to the old Google Messaging app. There's nothing about Hangouts that I particularly like anyway, so getting rid was an easy decision.
--------------------------------------
POSSIBLY MY NEXT
Moto X+1

CURRENT
Phone :: Google Nexus 5
ROM :: Mahdi-ROM 2.5
Kernel: ElementalX

RETIRED / SOLD / STOPPED WORKING
Phone :: Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, TMobile G1

BRIEFLY FLIRTED WITH
Phone :: Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S i9000, Google Nexus 1
 
Aerowinder
Old
#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1191
Posts: 3,019
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by setspeed View Post
Had my N5 for quite a while now and I have only ONE issue with it - Hangouts. It takes ages to load, sometimes as much as 5 seconds. Every single other app is fine, but Hangouts just infuriates me. Am I the only person with this problem?

I'm running Cataclysm and Franco atm, but this was exactly the same when my phone was completely stock. I'm on Dalvik as well, because I can't give up Xposed.
Yep, it runs like molasses.
 

Google Firmware: Google
USB Drivers: Google | Mirror
ADB+ADB Drivers: 19.0.2 (4.4.4) + Koush Universal ADB Drivers

TWRP Official: hammerhead | flo
TWRP Holofied: hammerhead | flo

Gapps: BaNkS

Superuser: Chainfire | Mirror
 
kasdepwel
Old
#6  
Member
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 49
Join Date: Jan 2012
yep i had the same issues on stock and custom roms
 
monkeypaws
Old
#7  
monkeypaws's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 420
Posts: 1,656
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by setspeed View Post
I have about 500 messages in there. I've dumped it now anyway, gone to the old Google Messaging app. There's nothing about Hangouts that I particularly like anyway, so getting rid was an easy decision.
Wow. I don't ever save any of my messages if that convo isn't important anymore. You're like my wife. She never deletes any of her texts on her note 2 and you should see her default stock app lag like hell loading.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
 
EddyOS
Old
#8  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2882
Posts: 13,065
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaws View Post
Wow. I don't ever save any of my messages if that convo isn't important anymore. You're like my wife. She never deletes any of her texts on her note 2 and you should see her default stock app lag like hell loading.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
This ^

If it's that important, have them email it to you. All SMSs are deleted as soon as they're read
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required)
 
ej8989
Old
#9  
ej8989's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 410
Posts: 1,235
Join Date: Jul 2012
I got 15,000+ messages. I use hangouts on a regular basis and I never experienced it loading for more than 1.5 seconds on any situation.
I encountered that on my old Nexus S. But this is a Nexus 5. I don't expect hiccups or lags on any app and so far it delivers.
PHONE
Model: Nexus 5 D820 32GB Black
ROM: Mahdi 2.7 [4.4.4]
Boot Animation: ParanoidAndroid
Display Tweak: Nexus Display Control
Root / Unbrick / Return to stock: Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

OTHER DEVICES
Nexus S i9023, CM11, Dead
Galaxy Ace Plus S7500, Speedmod Kitkat 4.4.2

The Following User Says Thank You to ej8989 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes