Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,741 Members 47,326 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Play Store crashes when updating multiple apps

Tip us?

andreipaval
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Phone [Q] Play Store crashes when updating multiple apps

Hi, I have a Nexus 5, completely stock 4.4.2, never tampered
Whenever there are multiple updates in the Play Store and I press "Update", the first app updates, then the second one starts downloading,
but the download hangs at some point, then after a few seconds the entire Play Store app closes without any message.
After that I can open the Play Store again and try to update the apps, but they only update one at a time, because on the second update it always crashes.
All the Google apps are at the latest versions, Play Store has version 4.6.17. This is happening for a while now, but I can't pinpoint it to a certain version of the Play Store app, but in the past I did not have this problem.
I've tried restarting the device, clearing data and cache for the Play Store app, clearing the cached data for the entire system, even switching the runtime (btw the problem is happening on both Dalvik and ART), but nothing helped. I also have enough Available space: 4 GB as reported in Settings/Storage.
On my wife's Nexus 4, also completely stock and with updated Google apps, the problem it's not happening, so it's not something in my environment.
Did anyone else have this problem? I searched the forums but found nothing relevant.
Any advice?
Thank you.

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1900

DONATE TO ME
Hello,

Clear Playstore's app data and cache and reconnect your google account as see whether the problem persists?

andreipaval
Old
(Last edited by andreipaval; 13th April 2014 at 03:59 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Already did that, I said in my post, did not help.
Can anyone provide any advice? Thanks.

andreipaval
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreipaval View Post
Already did that, I said in my post, did not help.
Can anyone provide any advice? Thanks.
Please Help

paolo200
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Hi, I have a Nexus 5, completely stock 4.4.2, never tampered
Whenever there are multiple updates in the Play Store and I press "Update", the first app updates, then the second one starts downloading,
but the download hangs at some point, then after a few seconds the entire Play Store app closes without any message.
After that I can open the Play Store again and try to update the apps, but they only update one at a time, because on the second update it always crashes.
All the Google apps are at the latest versions, Play Store has version 4.6.17. This is happening for a while now, but I can't pinpoint it to a certain version of the Play Store app, but in the past I did not have this problem.
I've tried restarting the device, clearing data and cache for the Play Store app, clearing the cached data for the entire system, even switching the runtime (btw the problem is happening on both Dalvik and ART), but nothing helped. I also have enough Available space: 4 GB as reported in Settings/Storage.
On my wife's Nexus 4, also completely stock and with updated Google apps, the problem it's not happening, so it's not something in my environment.
Did anyone else have this problem? I searched the forums but found nothing relevant.
Any advice?
Thank you.
Hi

I have the exact same problem on my galaxy note 3 so nothing to add except that I tried a little trick that allows it to finish the updates without having to restart the store. I close it immediately after the batch download starts and then it continues updating in the background. it works most of the times but not always. I really wish someone had a solution to this problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2760607

andreipaval
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Did you by any chance ever went into the recovery and tried clearing the cache from there?

paolo200
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Did you by any chance ever went into the recovery and tried clearing the cache from there?
Yes, I cleared cache and Dalvik from custom recovery. I did a lot of searching on google and XDA and I followed all the guides, including uninstalling play store updates, clear data and cache from apps manager for play store and also Google services framework and download manager but no improvement

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 218
Im in the same boat as you on this one.
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Slimkat 6.6
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 7 by Asus 32GB
Stock L Preview - Rooted
Stock Kernel

andreipaval
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo200 View Post
Hi

I have the exact same problem on my galaxy note 3 so nothing to add except that I tried a little trick that allows it to finish the updates without having to restart the store. I close it immediately after the batch download starts and then it continues updating in the background. it works most of the times but not always. I really wish someone had a solution to this problem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2760607
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo200 View Post
Yes, I cleared cache and Dalvik from custom recovery. I did a lot of searching on google and XDA and I followed all the guides, including uninstalling play store updates, clear data and cache from apps manager for play store and also Google services framework and download manager but no improvement
Are you rooted? What custom recovery are you using? I myself am all stock, never rooted or anything.
And how long does it take to clear the cache from recovery? On my Nexus 5 with stock recovery it takes very long, around 5 or 10 minutes the first time I do it in succession, but it finishes succesfully. If I repeat the clearing of cache without rebooting then it takes a few seconds, like normal.
I read somewhere that it might be an issue with errors on the cache partition and that reformatting this partition might solve it, but I cannot do it from the stock recovery. Maybe if you have the option of reformatting the /cache partition in your custom recovery you should try it.
Another thing that you can do is try to catch the errors with logcat, if you have root you can use an app, I used adb to save a logcat and found some error messages related to the installing of apps but could not find how to solve them. I will post the logcat later.
If you can get a logcat maybe you can post it and we will compare the errors.

andreipaval
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2whisper View Post
Im in the same boat as you on this one.
Rooted? Custom recovery?

Did you try to clear cache from recovery? How long does it take?