Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,834 Members 50,193 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google now launcher icon packs

Tip us?

arlrb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google now launcher icon packs

Are there any?
I want to keep the launcher but change app icons. All icon packs I can find in the play store require the installation of a different launcher.

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 10,759
Icon Packs on the play store are installable. What you'd actually need to do is download actual images to use as icons (from NOT play store) and then use an app that creates shortcuts with custom images, then use THOSE shortcuts instead of the apps.

I used to do this using apps like "Desktop Visualizer". I'm not sure if this app still exists and if it does, whether it works on KK.
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vin4yak
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,148

DONATE TO ME
If you're using Xposed, you can try this out : http://forum.xda-developers.com/xpos...d-app-t2246783
The Following User Says Thank You to vin4yak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CitizenLee
Old
Thanks Meter 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Icon Packs on the play store are installable. What you'd actually need to do is download actual images to use as icons (from NOT play store) and then use an app that creates shortcuts with custom images, then use THOSE shortcuts instead of the apps.

I used to do this using apps like "Desktop Visualizer". I'm not sure if this app still exists and if it does, whether it works on KK.
I've been using this for a few years this to created custom icons...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iconchanger.ad

Works fine with stock launcher, but one thing I've noticed on KK is that it seems that you need to make sure you don't already have the icon on one of your screens or it won't create the new one. So, say you're creating a new Chrome icon, remove the existing one first.
Main Device: Google Nexus 5
Other Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Samsung Galaxy S2, Motorola Moto G
Retired: HTC Hero, HTC Wildfire S, HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 1
Dropbox | Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CitizenLee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arlrb
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. Used the xposed method in the end. The icon themer is now called unicon.
However, I can't find a way of changing individual icons with this, I can only install icon packs.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 1,353
If your ROM has the new CM theme manager it works EXACTLY like Unicon, but without the need for Xposed and you don't need to restart apps like it prompts you to in Unicon. Also themes system wide in the same way.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
I actively add ignorant people to my ignore list.

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 121
XGELS now allows you to use icon packs.

charesa39
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlrb View Post
Thanks. Used the xposed method in the end. The icon themer is now called unicon.
However, I can't find a way of changing individual icons with this, I can only install icon packs.
That's the only downside to Unicon. It's cool that it themes the icons system-wide, but you can't change individual icons if the icon pack doesn't have an icon for a certain app. It just applies random masking.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
XGELS now allows you to use icon packs.
Yeah. I'm thinking I may finally switch to using XGELS for my icon theming (instead of Unicon) when the ability to change individual icons is added, which the dev is currently working on.