Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 38,031 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Maps. GPS Slow?

Tip us?

andrawer
Old
(Last edited by andrawer; 5th February 2014 at 01:17 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 148
Question [Q] Google Maps. GPS Slow?

While using WIFI, calculating driving routes using Google Maps/GPS is super fast...as expected.
However, when I'm using my AT&T LTE data connection it seems to take forever to calculate a route or give results when using Google Map app to search for something (i.e. gas station).

Really frustrating, reroutes can take a minute+ and route calculation in general is slow. It often says "waiting for location"? Huh, I got 3+ bars and GPS signal on fast(?). Sometimes reboot fixes it for a short while.

Any thoughts if there is anything I can do to speed up the GPS (factory reset?). I don't remember this happening the first few months of ownership and wonder if it is the latest update (a month ago???).

Trying to figure if the problem resides with AT&T, google maps, or N5 GPS?

---
*Running full stock and have owned my N5 for 3 months now which speaks to how much I enjoy my Nexus 5 (first time nexus versus a long string of Samung and a few LG phones).

Thanks!!
--
AT&T Note 3 black 32GB

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrawer View Post
While using WIFI, calculating driving routes using Google Maps/GPS is super fast...as expected.
However, when I'm using my AT&T LTE data connection it seems to take forever to calculate a route or give results when using Google Map app to search for something (i.e. gas station).

Really frustrating, reroutes can take a minute+ and route calculation in general is slow. It often says "waiting for location"? Huh, I got 3+ bars and GPS signal on fast(?). Sometimes reboot fixes it for a short while.

Any thoughts if there is anything I can do to speed up the GPS (factory reset?). I don't remember this happening the first few months of ownership and wonder if it is the latest update (a month ago???).

Trying to figure if the problem resides with AT&T, google maps, or N5 GPS?

---
*Running full stock and have owned my N5 for 3 months now which speaks to how much I enjoy my Nexus 5 (first time nexus versus a long string of Samung and a few LG phones).

Thanks!!
Did you update to most recent Google Maps that was just released via play store? How long has then been happening? Mine has worked well in battery saving/high accuracy modes enabled from Sprint so I'd say the issue probably may reside with AT&T or the GPS lastly.
From the depths, the light is all you see.... Life's Good in QHD.

LG G3 - Stock - No Root (yet...)
Samsung S5 - Stock Deodexed - Root
Google Nexus 5 - Liquid Smooth - Root

Don't Forget to Hit the THANKS if I Helped!
The Following User Says Thank You to RevelationOmega For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrawer
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationOmega View Post
Did you update to most recent Google Maps that was just released via play store? How long has then been happening? Mine has worked well in battery saving/high accuracy modes enabled from Sprint so I'd say the issue probably may reside with AT&T or the GPS lastly.
Good catch, I have today's latest Google Maps (Feb 4, 2014) and didn't even realize I updated it...and haven't tested it yet.

BUT, I called google support and we just cleared cache and data on the apps/Map and the Map/GPS seems to work fine now...so I don't know if it was the new Google Maps or Cache clear? oh well, will test over the next few days and report back.

A thread on googleproductforum led me to believe it was a hardware issue...i shall see.

https://productforums.google.com/for...B1-25-false%5D
--
AT&T Note 3 black 32GB

RevelationOmega
Old
Thanks Meter 504

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrawer View Post
Good catch, I have today's latest Google Maps (Feb 4, 2014) and didn't even realize I updated it...and haven't tested it yet.

BUT, I called google support and we just cleared cache and data on the apps/Map and the Map/GPS seems to work fine now...so I don't know if it was the new Google Maps or Cache clear? oh well, will test over the next few days and report back.

A thread on googleproductforum led me to believe it was a hardware issue...i shall see.

https://productforums.google.com/for...B1-25-false%5D
Good luck. Hopefully it isn't something to extreme.
From the depths, the light is all you see.... Life's Good in QHD.

LG G3 - Stock - No Root (yet...)
Samsung S5 - Stock Deodexed - Root
Google Nexus 5 - Liquid Smooth - Root

Don't Forget to Hit the THANKS if I Helped!

morschesholz
Old
Thanks Meter 17
There are a lot of threads here about GPS issues with the N5. So in your case it's probably the GPS, too.
As far as I have read them, RMAing the device should be considered.