Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Maps v8 Offline Maps feature?

Tip us?

bilago
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letharqy View Post
They probably want you to buy a full GPS device anyways. Google has other reasons why they probably don't want to.

Sent from my Nexus 5
Well of course they don't want us to, it isn't hard to implement. It all comes down to the single fact of Data Mining. If we could navigate offline then Google will not get our usage information.

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
You would need maps of every single street downloaded and that isn't really ideal for an app rather than an actual GPS. They probably don't want to fill up storage too quickly for older devices either.

Sent from my Nexus 5
The entire North America OSM is only 6GB. You could easily download states for a couple hundred MB each.

Lethargy
Old
Thanks Meter 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir View Post
The entire North America OSM is only 6GB. You could easily download states for a couple hundred MB each.
On older devices it would be a problem, my Xperia Arc S only has around 400mb internal and an 8gb SD card which gets filled pretty quick with apps/data Then as stated above, Google wants you to have connection so they can use it in their services/etc

Sent from my Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyphur
You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

raptir
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Quote:
On older devices it would be a problem, my Xperia Arc S only has around 400mb internal and an 8gb SD card which gets filled pretty quick with apps/data Then as stated above, Google wants you to have connection so they can use it in their services/etc

Sent from my Nexus 5
No one's talking about getting rid of the online mode.
The Following User Says Thank You to raptir For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]