Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Can't make or receive calls

Tip us?

backside floaters
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Can't make or receive calls

Started a couple days ago, using straight talk AT&T sim on my nexus 5, Data and text messages work fine, but whenever I try and make a phone call the signal drops completely and calls won't connect. People been telling me when they try to call it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running stock rom. Any suggestions? Straight talk and Google both with no help.

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
Have you tried a different sim card from like a friends phone to make sure its not the phone itself? You can also try to call ATT to see if its on their end.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Phone:
16GB Black Nexus 5 running Stock 4.4.4 with CharizardX Kernel

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
ATT Motorola Dual Core Atrix 4G
ATT Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

Google+ page for chatty XDA members!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102405...48467738/posts

backside floaters
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Swapped sims with my wife. Mine worked on her phone hers didn't on mine. Think it might be a hardware issue on my phone and I got it on Craigslist so I think I'm screwed

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
Sounds like it definitely is a hardware issue now or something with the Sim tray. Sorry to break it to ya. Hopefully you can work something out with the guy on Craigslist.

Phone:

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

backside floaters
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks. I have had the phone for about 4 months with no issues. I K of its not the sim tray because I still get data and texts and I can receive calls sometimes if I have dull reception somewhere. It just started all of a sudden, pretty frustrating

Bruce Lee
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 369
I just the same issue today as you. It was a ROM issue. I was on PA. I switched to aokp for now.

Phone:

Past Devices:
ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII
Unlocked HTC G1
32GB Nexus 7
Blackberry Playbook

_jordan_
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by backside floaters View Post
Started a couple days ago, using straight talk AT&T sim on my nexus 5, Data and text messages work fine, but whenever I try and make a phone call the signal drops completely and calls won't connect. People been telling me when they try to call it goes straight to voicemail. I'm running stock rom. Any suggestions? Straight talk and Google both with no help.
I had this issue on the stock, unrooted ROM after about 4 months as well. I think the cache partition was corrupted. You can try wiping this in recovery and see if the problem fixes itself.

I didn't think of just wiping the cache, so instead I did a factory reset by unlocking the bootloader and everything cleared up.

Now I wipe the cache partition roughly once a month and the phone runs like a champ. Also I use sdmaid to clear the device from junk that accumulates over time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

backside floaters
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by _jordan_ View Post
I had this issue on the stock, unrooted ROM after about 4 months as well. I think the cache partition was corrupted. You can try wiping this in recovery and see if the problem fixes itself.

I didn't think of just wiping the cache, so instead I did a factory reset by unlocking the bootloader and everything cleared up.

Now I wipe the cache partition roughly once a month and the phone runs like a champ. Also I use sdmaid to clear the device from junk that accumulates over time.

Thanks for the help, but I already did a factory reset with no success. Data works fine on LTE but if ibtryvswitching to 3g or 2g signal drops as well. If I have full signal it will connect but anything in less it doesn't connect the calls.

_jordan_
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Flash factory images then.

aamoroso
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
This happened to me on my non rooted N5 with 4.4.4. Disabling Wifi and/or LTE sometimes allowed a single SMS to get through, but then the problem resumed.

I fixed it by booting into recovery and wiping the cache partition. For some reason that took a long time (about 5 minutes) but eventually it finished and when I rebooted it was all good.