XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Play Music: All Music Vs. On Device

Tip us?

AndrasLOHF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 557
Default Google Play Music: All Music Vs. On Device

I have a question for anyone using Google Play music. Has anyone else noticed that when playing music using All Music uses much more battery than just On Device even if ALL of your music is on your device. I've noticed that in my data usage screen Google Play Music stays as the highest consumer of data which makes no sense as all my music is locally stored. Chrome or Play Store should be the highest user of data. I am only playing music that is store on my SD card and have noticed a time or two that when fast forwarding in a song it'll buffer as if it's streaming. I've also went to play a song a couple times and noticed it buffering as well. Anyone else seen this????
Nexus 5 PandaTrooper on that Slim!!!

Get your eargasm herehttp://forum.xda-developers.com/goog...droid-t2543796

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 178
has your music been uploaded as well as saved to the device? if so it may not have recognized that.

thats the only theory I have as I had an album on my device that got uploaded but it kept them separate. The only way I could tell is if i went to save to device and it was blacked out.
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Stock Rom - Rooted
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 10 by Samsung 32GB
Jumping between Stock 4.4.1 and CM 11

AndrasLOHF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 557
Yeah the music is both saved to the phone via usb transfer and has been uploaded onto the Google servers. But yeah it seems like it is keeping them separated for some reason ei. if the song is both on the phone and on the server when All Music is chosen it prefers to play from the server instead of the phone storage.

y2whisper
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Maybe try just downloading the music to your device and get rid of the stuff you manually saved. Not sure how many files we are talking here. And naturally, you would want to do this via wifi

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Google Nexus 5 by LG 32GB
Stock Rom - Rooted
Faux Kernel

Google Nexus 10 by Samsung 32GB
Jumping between Stock 4.4.1 and CM 11

AndrasLOHF
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 557
I've thought about that but we're talking about 20GB+ of music. lol Which really wouldn't be a big deal except that after any clean flash of a ROM I'd have to redownload everything again.

drzplaya1121
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Then there's no point on having your music on the cloud

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app
Galaxy Nexus
Jelly Bean Stock Rooted

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
That's how Google wants it though. It seems the only way to get album art working on the My Library widget is to upload your local music to google's servers but it seems in this case it is then streaming those files instead of using the local ones.

W32

AndrasLOHF
Old
(Last edited by AndrasLOHF; 19th December 2013 at 01:08 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblzd View Post
That's how Google wants it though. It seems the only way to get album art working on the My Library widget is to upload your local music to google's servers

^^^^Exactly, this is why I uploaded to the cloud^^^^ Even if I used id editors or album art editors after every rom flash I'd have to go back and reinput album art that was missing. At least this way the art stays. I do think I've found the culprit though. I had been using Bank's core gapps on SlimKat which requires you yo download most Google apps through the Play Store as this gapps package contains minimal apps. After using SlimKat's gapps again which has Google Play music as a system app and not a user app, it seems to have gone away. It really shouldn't matter how the app is installed but it seems to have helped.

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrasLOHF View Post
^^^^Exactly, this is why I uploaded to the cloud^^^^ Even if I used id editors or album art editors after every rom flash I'd have to go back and reinput album art that was missing. At least this way the art stays. I do think I've found the culprit though. I had been using Bank's core gapps on SlimKat which requires you yo download most Google apps through the Play Store as this gapps package contains minimal apps. After using SlimKat's gapps again which has Google Play music as a system app and not a user app, it seems to have gone away. It really shouldn't matter how the app is installed but it seems to have helped.
I've searched the issue after running into it myself and there are unresolved forum posts all over about it. Even using Album grabbers to replace already existing art hasn't got the widget to show anything but blank squares for some including myself. Of course while listening to the music the album art works normally and replaces the lock screen.

Editing the ID tags might do the trick you say?
W32