Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Google Play Music Not Reading Files From OTG

OP The-Droidster

9th February 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #1  
The-Droidster's Avatar
OP Senior Member
XDA 24 x 7
Thanks Meter: 810
 
1,118 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Hi Guys, is there a way to force Google Play Music or any other music player for that matter to read and list the music files from a flash drive connected to the OTG interface? I would like a way to list the music from the portable drive in the library of the music player.
9th February 2014, 08:36 PM   |  #2  
The-Droidster's Avatar
OP Senior Member
XDA 24 x 7
Thanks Meter: 810
 
1,118 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Anything? Nobody plays music through OTG?
10th February 2014, 09:28 AM   |  #3  
edwinpang's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 52
 
413 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
A file manager perhaps like ES or RE? And guess the quality LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to edwinpang For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 10:03 AM   |  #4  
TheAtheistOtaku's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buffalo
Thanks Meter: 298
 
1,186 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Droidster

Hi Guys, is there a way to force Google Play Music or any other music player for that matter to read and list the music files from a flash drive connected to the OTG interface? I would like a way to list the music from the portable drive in the library of the music player.

ill throw some music on my sd card with a meenova otg card reader and see what power amp does with it
will report back

Update: power amp doesn't have a problem with reading it. Though do note that I'm using a kernel that supports auto mounting it (chaos kernel on latest omni build) instead of an app like stick mount
Last edited by TheAtheistOtaku; 10th February 2014 at 10:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAtheistOtaku For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2014, 10:10 AM   |  #5  
The-Droidster's Avatar
OP Senior Member
XDA 24 x 7
Thanks Meter: 810
 
1,118 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpang

A file manager perhaps like ES or RE? And guess the quality LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A file manager is not exactly I'm looking for. I use stick mount to mount the flash drive and can access the contents through any of the File managers as you said. But what I'm looking for, is a music player that scans the flash drive like any other folder for possible music files and includes them in the library on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistOtaku

ill throw some music on my sd card with a meenova otg card reader and see what power amp does with it
will report back

Will be really helpful if you could check. I'll happily buy the player on the store if you can confirm this.

EDIT: Wow, thanx! That should do it. I'm on ElementalX and use Stick Mount, so that shouldn't be a problem. But its really annoying that most players including the GoogleMusic Player do not support this functionality. Anyways, thanx for your quick reply and help!
Time to buy poweramp I guess!
Last edited by The-Droidster; 10th February 2014 at 10:13 AM.
10th February 2014, 10:11 AM   |  #6  
TheAtheistOtaku's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Buffalo
Thanks Meter: 298
 
1,186 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Droidster

A file manager is not exactly I'm looking for. I use stick mount to mount the flash drive and can access the contents through any of the File managers as you said. But what I'm looking for, is a music player that scans the flash drive like any other folder for possible music files and includes them in the library on the go.



Will be really helpful if you could check. I'll happily buy the player on the store if you can confirm this.

edited my original post with screenshots with my findings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes