Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,799 Members 38,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Google Play Music Not Reading Files From OTG

Tip us?

The-Droidster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 803
Default Google Play Music Not Reading Files From OTG

Hi Guys, is there a way to force Google Play Music or any other music player for that matter to read and list the music files from a flash drive connected to the OTG interface? I would like a way to list the music from the portable drive in the library of the music player.

You Might Wanna See This!

The-Droidster
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 803
Anything? Nobody plays music through OTG?

edwinpang
Old
Thanks Meter 52
A file manager perhaps like ES or RE? And guess the quality LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to edwinpang For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheAtheistOtaku
Old
(Last edited by TheAtheistOtaku; 10th February 2014 at 09:08 AM.)
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Droidster View Post
Hi Guys, is there a way to force Google Play Music or any other music player for that matter to read and list the music files from a flash drive connected to the OTG interface? I would like a way to list the music from the portable drive in the library of the music player.
ill throw some music on my sd card with a meenova otg card reader and see what power amp does with it
will report back

Update: power amp doesn't have a problem with reading it. Though do note that I'm using a kernel that supports auto mounting it (chaos kernel on latest omni build) instead of an app like stick mount
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAtheistOtaku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

The-Droidster
Old
(Last edited by The-Droidster; 10th February 2014 at 09:13 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpang View Post
A file manager perhaps like ES or RE? And guess the quality LOL

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
A file manager is not exactly I'm looking for. I use stick mount to mount the flash drive and can access the contents through any of the File managers as you said. But what I'm looking for, is a music player that scans the flash drive like any other folder for possible music files and includes them in the library on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtheistOtaku View Post
ill throw some music on my sd card with a meenova otg card reader and see what power amp does with it
will report back
Will be really helpful if you could check. I'll happily buy the player on the store if you can confirm this.

EDIT: Wow, thanx! That should do it. I'm on ElementalX and use Stick Mount, so that shouldn't be a problem. But its really annoying that most players including the GoogleMusic Player do not support this functionality. Anyways, thanx for your quick reply and help!
Time to buy poweramp I guess!

TheAtheistOtaku
Old
Thanks Meter 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Droidster View Post
A file manager is not exactly I'm looking for. I use stick mount to mount the flash drive and can access the contents through any of the File managers as you said. But what I'm looking for, is a music player that scans the flash drive like any other folder for possible music files and includes them in the library on the go.

Will be really helpful if you could check. I'll happily buy the player on the store if you can confirm this.
edited my original post with screenshots with my findings