Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Google sync issues - anyone else?

OP cwburns32

20th May 2014, 04:20 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 112
 
667 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
My brother got a Nexus 5 from T-mobile today. All his contacts on HTC Sensation are synced to Google appear so on both phone and through a web browser. I was helping him set it up this evening and everything seemed fine - had him sign into Google yada yada yada. When he went into his contacts it was empty, same with his Gmail emails. He has 200+ contacts an quite a few emails in his inbox so I thought this was strange.

I checked the Google account under settings and said everything had synced just fine with no errors. Found this to be odd so I wiped data and cache on both Gmail app and Google Contacts Sync app. Rebooted phone, nothing. Wiped dalvik cache, nothing. Removed and readded Gmail account, nothing. Factory reset, nothing.

Basically tried everything I know to no avail. It's odd that it is saying that it is synced when it indeed it is not - there isn't even an error message.

Anyone else having issues with this? Find this very very strange and there is hardly ever a phone issue that I can't solve and I'm stumped. Now I did manage to just export contacts to storage on Sensation and then copy the .vsf file to computer and then copied it to Nexus 5 and imported so he has his contacts but still no emails.

Considering just flashing CM11 onto it and seeing if that does it but don't want to go through all that if I don't have to - my brother is basic user anyway, he wouldn't even know what's going on if I were to flash CM11.

Just seeing if anyone else has issues like this. Ant suggestions would be great.

Sent from my Project Infinity 1.2 Galaxy S 5 on AT&T using XDA Premium
20th May 2014, 05:19 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,290
 
3,207 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwburns32

My brother got a Nexus 5 from T-mobile today. All his contacts on HTC Sensation are synced to Google appear so on both phone and through a web browser. I was helping him set it up this evening and everything seemed fine - had him sign into Google yada yada yada. When he went into his contacts it was empty, same with his Gmail emails. He has 200+ contacts an quite a few emails in his inbox so I thought this was strange.

I checked the Google account under settings and said everything had synced just fine with no errors. Found this to be odd so I wiped data and cache on both Gmail app and Google Contacts Sync app. Rebooted phone, nothing. Wiped dalvik cache, nothing. Removed and readded Gmail account, nothing. Factory reset, nothing.

Basically tried everything I know to no avail. It's odd that it is saying that it is synced when it indeed it is not - there isn't even an error message.

Anyone else having issues with this? Find this very very strange and there is hardly ever a phone issue that I can't solve and I'm stumped. Now I did manage to just export contacts to storage on Sensation and then copy the .vsf file to computer and then copied it to Nexus 5 and imported so he has his contacts but still no emails.

Considering just flashing CM11 onto it and seeing if that does it but don't want to go through all that if I don't have to - my brother is basic user anyway, he wouldn't even know what's going on if I were to flash CM11.

Just seeing if anyone else has issues like this. Ant suggestions would be great.

Sent from my Project Infinity 1.2 Galaxy S 5 on AT&T using XDA Premium

You say the contacts are visible through a pc, you mean via Gmail on the pc right? This could indicate he is signed into the incorrect account. I know I have more than one....

Sometimes the Android Gmail app needs a manual pull down refresh to show mail, and make sure the appropriate inboxes are syncing via the Gmail app settings. The manage labels option, I think.

And in the People app, press the overflow button and tap accounts. Check the check box and select the correct account.
Last edited by Aerowinder; 20th May 2014 at 05:23 AM.
20th May 2014, 05:39 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 112
 
667 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

You say the contacts are visible through a pc, you mean via Gmail on the pc right? This could indicate he is signed into the incorrect account. I know I have more than one....

Sometimes the Android Gmail app needs a manual pull down refresh to show mail, and make sure the appropriate inboxes are syncing via the Gmail app settings. The manage labels option, I think.

And in the People app, press the overflow button and tap accounts. Check the check box and select the correct account.

No disrespect sir, but this is probably one of the first things I check. I used to work at an AT&T store for 4+ years and this always seemed to be the customer's issue with "not syncing." He has only one Gmail account and that is the one logged onto the phone. When I log into this SAME account on a web browser the contacts are there. Like I said the phone is telling me everything is synced, yada yada yada but still nothing. I appreciate you trying to help but that certainly is not the issue here. There is something deeper than that causing this issues and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. So frustrating.
20th May 2014, 05:41 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,290
 
3,207 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwburns32

No disrespect sir, but this is probably one of the first things I check. I used to work at an AT&T store for 4+ years and this always seemed to be the customer's issue with "not syncing." He has only one Gmail account and that is the one logged onto the phone. When I log into this SAME account on a web browser the contacts are there. Like I said the phone is telling me everything is synced, yada yada yada but still nothing. I appreciate you trying to help but that certainly is not the issue here. There is something deeper than that causing this issues and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. So frustrating.

I understand your frustration. I suppose you've already tried syncing his contacts to your phone? It wouldn't be the first time a Google account was boogered up.

If that works, make a new Google account and import the contacts to it, then attempt a sync. If that works, there is an issue on Google's end with that original account.
Last edited by Aerowinder; 20th May 2014 at 05:45 AM.
20th May 2014, 05:51 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 112
 
667 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowinder

I understand your frustration. I suppose you've already tried syncing his contacts to your phone?

Oh shoot, forgot to mention that, this is even more odd. I added his Google account to my Nexus 7 and my GS5. On the Nexus 7 contacts or emails do not show up (even though they say they are synced). On the GS5 the contacts show up but still no emails. Now you can really start to understand my frustration as that is just down right goofy. Who knows, so annoying though.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes