CyanogenMod 12.1 for YU Yureka

YU Yureka recently received an official Cyanogen OS 12S update. If you prefer to use a newer revision of … more

Open War for Open Android: Antitrust for Cyanogen?

Android and openness is something we talk about all the time, but the recent … more

What Do You Do with All of Your Old Photos?

Smartphone cameras have advanced so tremendously over the past few years that they have … more

Diving into the April 2015 Material Design Update

Before the release of Android 5.0 Lollipop, the Holo Design guidelines served as the … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Is Google Now working AND useful for you?

25th February 2014, 07:27 PM |#1  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
2,195 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
I know GNow kills battery due to the constant GPS use, but I was willing to give it a try if it "help" me with my life activities. However, the result has been less than impressive:

1). Weather
Always off by 5-10 degrees (California)

2). Public Transportation
Always informed me of the "nearest" train station, which I do NOT use and I use the other one (BART in California)

3). Package tracking
Never worked for me, especially now Amazon stop including the tracking number in their email.

So what else is GNow used for? How does that working out for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to lanwarrior For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
25th February 2014, 07:34 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Tiverton, Devon
Thanks Meter: 109
 
290 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2012
More
I find the delays on the motorway useful for my commute. Mine doesn't use GPS constantly.

Sent from my Nexus 5
25th February 2014, 07:34 PM |#3  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 934
 
3,149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

I know GNow kills battery due to the constant GPS use, but I was willing to give it a try if it "help" me with my life activities. However, the result has been less than impressive:

1). Weather
Always off by 5-10 degrees (California)

2). Public Transportation
Always informed me of the "nearest" train station, which I do NOT use and I use the other one (BART in California)

3). Package tracking
Never worked for me, especially now Amazon stop including the tracking number in their email.

So what else is GNow used for? How does that working out for you?

1. Weather is usually right...same area as you. It does the same thing as searching "weather in san francisco" in google.
2. Yeah that doesn't work.
3. That only worked when I ordered my N5. Amazon used to work, now it doesn't.

I just turned it off. I can still use all the voice commands, so it isn't a big deal.
25th February 2014, 07:35 PM |#4  
mymusicathome's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 113
 
540 posts
Join Date:Joined: Dec 2011
More
I don't mind it. Tracks similar articles referencing search strings, tracks sports teams. Liked the Olympic tracking although you could not specify what country you are tracking. Also like the tourists locations when out of town. I don't really notice a battery difference except after a day or 2 without rebooting (doesn't allow device to sleep. Reboot and it's all good again.)

Has a fair bit of potential and looking forward to future updates.

Sent from my HammerHead
25th February 2014, 07:35 PM |#5  
aooga's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 934
 
3,149 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepdavies

I find the delays on the motorway useful for my commute. Mine doesn't use GPS constantly.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Doesn't do that in the US. At least not where I am.
25th February 2014, 07:48 PM |#6  
Sc0rp10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 60
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
for me its useful for the following:
  1. weather
  2. traffic congestion
  3. sports scores and match reminders
  4. flight reminders
  5. package tracking
25th February 2014, 08:00 PM |#7  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
2,195 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rp10

for me its useful for the following:

  1. flight reminders
  2. package tracking

Does these tracking only works with the Gmail account which you activated Google Now with?

Example:
1). I use 2 Gmail accounts --> A and B
2). A is activated for GNow
3). B is used for online shopping (package tracking, flight confirmation, etc.)

If I forward package / flight email confirmation from B, will GNow tracks it too even though it is only associated with A?
25th February 2014, 08:04 PM |#8  
Sc0rp10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 60
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

Does these tracking only works with the Gmail account which you activated Google Now with?

Example:
1). I use 2 Gmail accounts --> A and B
2). A is activated for GNow
3). B is used for online shopping (package tracking, flight confirmation, etc.)

If I forward package / flight email confirmation from B, will GNow tracks it too even though it is only associated with A?

i have 2 gmail accounts too but i can only get notifications/reminders from the primary account. in the google now settings under accounts & privacy you can switch accounts so i guess it only works for one account at a time.
25th February 2014, 08:17 PM |#9  
lanwarrior's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 151
 
2,195 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rp10

i have 2 gmail accounts too but i can only get notifications/reminders from the primary account. in the google now settings under accounts & privacy you can switch accounts so i guess it only works for one account at a time.

Forwarding the email to the primary account doesn't work?
25th February 2014, 08:19 PM |#10  
Sc0rp10's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 60
 
238 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

Forwarding the email to the primary account doesn't work?

It works for me for flight tickets. Haven't tried it for anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Sc0rp10 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes