[Q] Google Now voice 'Personalized Recognition' in UK

Search This thread

QuirkyGord69

Jan 15, 2009
Hello!

I recently purchased a Nexus 10 (And have a Nexus 5 on its way being posted tomorrow from the Play store :) ). I live in the UK and after reading online realized that you can use the Google Now voice features if you set the language to English(US). I have been playing around with this for a few days and its pretty cool. My only issue is that it seems to get several words wrong (my accent is quite plain, clean and distinguishable, although distinctly British), particularly when asking for directions etc where the words may not be of common use.

I read online that about 2 years ago, Google released a 'personalized voice recognition' feature but that this feature is only available to Google customers in the US (Google stated other 'languages' would soon be supported). Does anyone know whether this feature will be enabled after rooting the device? Has anyone from outside the US rooted their device and had the settings>voice>'personalized recognition' box appear? or used market enabler and had it appear?

There is no way Google would ever be able to produce a single voice model to encompass the entire UK regional dialects (Geordie, Scouse, Broad Yorkshire, Cockney, West Country etc.) henceforth it would seem this feature would be particularly pertinent for Google's UK customers, and other English based dialects for that matter (Australia/New Zealand etc.).

Cheers

QuirkyGord69

Jan 15, 2009
Contacted Google tech support

They would only tell me that officially the Google Now app is only supported in the US. That's some help. . . . Its one of the defining features of the new OS. Maybe they should stick to selling their products in the US . . . .

QuirkyGord69

Jan 15, 2009
If you're really interested in voice commands and such, you might like utter!. It can recognize any accent.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thanks PhillipTD, I'll check it out.

It turns out quite a few people are complaining about this to Google on their forums. If you are an android user AND English speaker AND live outside the US AND want to use the 'Personalized Recognition' service you can show your support on the Google forums here:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/nexus/f912lYp8Ea0/FiX-_SfZHS4J

Lets be honest, the more people who complain, the more likely it is you will get the service. You opinion matters!