Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,462 Members 43,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does Gorilla Glass Coating worn off?

Tip us?

peeweew
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default Does Gorilla Glass Coating worn off?

Good day everyone!
I just have concern regarding the screen of my Nexus 5.

I have attached a screen protector back then but not for long so my phone's currently bare. I think this is another con for screens if used with gorilla glass alone and not protected. (Aside from sapphire and other harder objects can scratch it)

I noticed the different touch feel on a certain spot (fingerprint-size). I feel like touching a pure glass, it does squeek when wiped. You do not feel the smooth touch on other areas without it.

The spot is visible when slightly wet wiped.

Could this mean that gorilla glass coating can really get worn off? Though it can be used with screen protector, some are comfortable with no screen protector attached.

This photo is not my phone, only a reference from the internet but you can refer to it as it shows exactly the same with my concern.

Thanks in advance!

Beauenheim
Old
Thanks Meter 85

DONATE TO ME
Unfortunately the oleophobic coating will eventually wear off on any device.

IINexusII
Old
Thanks Meter 320
yes as mentioned the oleophobic coating will wear off. you can use a tempered glass screen protector such as the Spigen Glas.tR which are oleophobic to get the smoothness back.

Why base what you think about a ROM on a quadrant score? Is it smooth for you? Is it as quick or quicker than other ROMS? THAT'S what you should base an impression of a ROM from. Its ALWAYS about the UX. Who really cares about a quadrant score? Do you plan on racing other Nexus phones on weekends or something? - CrackerTeg

dec1153
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I use a matte cause it feels great!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

peeweew
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Thanks for the response.
I've read that oleophobic coating is for oil repellant and is different to Gorilla Glass. So this area is still scratch resistant, right?