Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

YU Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q]Gps or glonass?

OP g1b50n

24th March 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14

151 posts
Hi people i don't have n5 (collecting some gold for the device). It is possible to use only gps or only glonass system? I heard about glonass is much better and find faster than gps system. On menu settings it is only on/off toggle. It will be possible to getbtoggle like for data like 2g, 3g or mixed mode? Maybe it will be a kernel feature or sth.

just sent via tapatalk
Last edited by g1b50n; 24th March 2014 at 11:31 PM.
28th March 2014, 04:26 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
*Bump*
Guys, can someone expalin how it works or it is possible to select which sattelite system i want to use? Between gps and glonass.
just sent via tapatalk
28th March 2014, 09:00 AM   |  #3  
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,805

24,980 posts
More
No. It just uses both. Glonass enhances GPS as far as I can tell

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
28th March 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #4  
Flag Great White , Michigan
Thanks Meter: 304

734 posts
More
rootSU is correct. You can't select one or the other... They work together to give you better accuracy and coverage.
GPS has 31 satellite's in orbit.
Glonass has 24 satellite's in orbit.
Therefore if you could use glonass independently your coverage wouldn't be as strong as GPS and since it was designed by Russia, glonass is more useful in northern latitudes.
The nice thing is since they work together your device is able to be pinned by 55 satellite's, instead of either 31 or 24 satellite's and if your in an area where GPS is stuck or blocked, the device will switch to glonass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th March 2014, 12:54 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

151 posts
Thanks guys for responding and wrote what i want to know. I have bad experience with my old htc desire and its very slow gps searching (some fixes not work). Best regards

just sent via tapatalk
30th March 2014, 07:34 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 150

1,115 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1b50n

Thanks guys for responding and wrote what i want to know. I have bad experience with my old htc desire and its very slow gps searching (some fixes not work). Best regards

just sent via tapatalk

The funny thing that I see with GPS TEST etc is that after a minute or so you only see the US GPS sats. Seems that it uses Glonass to lock quicker and when the GPS signal is getting worse it will use Glonass to help.
I've also read this on a Sony paper
'To save power, the GLONASS receiver is only activated in problematic locations, such as in an urban environment with high rise buildings. Therefore, if you are in an open sky environment where there are enough GPS satellites available to calculate a good accuracy position, GLONASS will automatically be switched off temporarily to enhance the battery lifetime.

So the next time you’re having problems getting a fix on your location, use an Xperia™ smartphone supporting GLONASS to get faster and more accurate location information.'
http://developer.sonymobile.com/know...ogies/glonass/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread