Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

GPS performance (Dont know if it can be called a problem)

OP kourampies

18th June 2014, 04:23 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Patras, Greece
Thanks Meter: 2

136 posts
More
My comparison device will always be the ETEN X500. I know, its a totally different OS, device and era, but that device could lock up all 20 satellites with full signal in seconds even indoors, with DGPS and extreme acuracy. Also, none of that static navigation and snapping to position behaviour modern devices have.

Note that I didn't drive until the Galaxy Nexus, but still used the GPS a lot, for geocaching, trips with other drivers, and just fiddling with it.

Anyway, on to the Android era.

My first device, the Desire Z, would take a little bit of time to get a fix, but it was still pretty accurate. A bit laggy though.

Then, the Huawei U8800. A little better than the Desire Z.

Motorola Milestone (the first one). Slower fix and weaker signal than all others, but still quite accurate and non laggy.

Galaxy Nexus. The one I got when I started driving. Quick fix, weak signal, and a little laggy once again, good for driving in most situations, perfectly acceptable.

And now, we reached the Nexus 5 era. Now Im driving a lot, and need the GPS on a daily basis. I cant say im satisfied with the Nexus 5 GPS at all. Its definitely worse than the Galaxy Nexus. It has really weak signal, relatively quick fix (~10 secs) with assistance data, and its really laggy and inacurrate. its always moving a little bit (under 5km/h speeds), and when navigating it has a really annoying snap (nothing happens unless you move 20 meters or so). Its almost useless for geocaching, and in very small rural roads its really problematic. Since it lags and its so imprecise, many times it loses turns, snaps me to some other road nearby, takes lots of time to reroute etc. Its really annoying me.

It gets around 5 satellites usually (outdoors, inside or outside the car), with a relatively bad signal. Is this to be expected? I find the performance of it and many other Android devices really bad. Is this an unavoidable problem of the SoC era, or is it something wrong with mine?

I would be happy to do tests and report, on whatever scenarios you suggest.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread