Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,594 Members 39,010 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GPU on N5

Tip us?

Sukrith
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default GPU on N5

Guys... I know that nexus 5 supports es3 but I want to know why not es3.1... Also are these standards based on hardware or software tweaks... Is it actually important?!?
Also how future proof is the n5?!? Will the gpu be capable of running high end graphic games for a long time?!?
I read on uber linaro kernel page or something that n5 gpu using that kernel can be over clocked to 650mhz... So is it really necessary or would it at 450mhz perform well for like 2years?!?
I don't want "its up to you" and stuff...
Sent from my Nexus 5
Ericsson T28s>Nokia 3310>Nokia 2600>Motorola SLVR L7i>iPhone 3GS>Acer BeTouch E110>Samsung Monte>MTS MTag>Huawei Ideos U8150>Micromax Funbook P300>Xolo X900>Nokia 100>Xolo X1000>Nokia 100>Nexus 5

My Phone Is My Life!!! Take It Away Im Dead Inside...

rootSU
Old
Thanks Meter 11,328
Over clocking the GPU doesn't seem to increase performance on the n5.

I don't personally believe any android device is gaming future proof. Its all moving too fast.

I'd buy a tablet for games if I knew it wouldn't be pretty much obsolete in a year or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Want to root/unroot? All important guides and info threads are contained within the "Sticky Roll-up" thread in General. Click the link below to get there!

**Sticky Roll-up: All Guides snd Info Threads linked here**

Philz Touch Recovery with passkey secure lock

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Wakamatsu
Old
Thanks Meter 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukrith View Post
Also how future proof is the n5?!?
The hardware is as future-proof as any other top end device. No more or less. The advantage of the Nexus line is on the software support side.

I don't push my GPU enough that overclocking is really important to me.
Current phone: something with Android 4.something-something
The Following User Says Thank You to Wakamatsu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sukrith
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU View Post
Over clocking the GPU doesn't seem to increase performance on the n5.

I don't personally believe any android device is gaming future proof. Its all moving too fast.

I'd buy a tablet for games if I knew it wouldn't be pretty much obsolete in a year or two.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakamatsu View Post
The hardware is as future-proof as any other top end device. No more or less. The advantage of the Nexus line is on the software support side.

I don't push my GPU enough that overclocking is really important to me.
What about the gl standards?!? Any clue on if it is hardware or software?!? Also how much did you all get on Manhattan and antutu es3?!?

Sent from my Nexus 5
Ericsson T28s>Nokia 3310>Nokia 2600>Motorola SLVR L7i>iPhone 3GS>Acer BeTouch E110>Samsung Monte>MTS MTag>Huawei Ideos U8150>Micromax Funbook P300>Xolo X900>Nokia 100>Xolo X1000>Nokia 100>Nexus 5

My Phone Is My Life!!! Take It Away Im Dead Inside...

bblzd
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukrith View Post
What about the gl standards?!? Any clue on if it is hardware or software?!? Also how much did you all get on Manhattan and antutu es3?!?

Sent from my Nexus 5
It is both hardware and software. There's a benchmark thread around here somewhere but generally people only care about real world performance.
W32
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bblzd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beekay201
Old
Thanks Meter 1,127
Yeah, from what I understand, OpenGL standards depend both on chipset capabilities/instructions and correspondent software implementations.
hammerhead/omni-KTU84P/stock#3.4.0/M8974A-2.0.50.1.13
maguro/aosp-KRT16O/custom#3.0.101/XXLJ1
manta/omni-KTU84P/custom#3.4.39
XDA forum rules here
bug report? logcat and /proc/kmsg, or it "never happened".
How TO Ask questions on the Internet
aosp-maguro READFIRST here (credit: efrant)
aosp-gnex READSECOND here (credit: efrant)
The Following User Says Thank You to beekay201 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]