XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Greenify: Yes or No?

Tip us?

mellevdlinde
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 13
Default Greenify: Yes or No?

I read multiple things about greenify. Some say it is not good for your device, others conclude it is great and does save battery.
So I was wondering if greenify is okay for our Nexus fives or not. Also I am interested in your battery experiences with greenify.

Sent from my Nexus 5 (Tapatalk)
Nexus 5
Stock ROM, Franco Kernel

Nexus 7
Stock ROM, Franco Kernel

jd1639
Old
(Last edited by jd1639; 24th January 2014 at 02:07 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2267
I don't use it. Don't need it

Edit, if you're not getting 5+ hours of screen on you're doing something wrong and greenify isn't going to help. It'll just use some battery.

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I don't see much point to it. If a particular app drains a lot of battery power, the only way to fix it is not to use it. You can "greenify" an app, but as soon as you use it, it gets "un-greenified" so what good does it do?

iamelton
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I don't see much point to it. If a particular app drains a lot of battery power, the only way to fix it is not to use it. You can "greenify" an app, but as soon as you use it, it gets "un-greenified" so what good does it do?
so that the particular app does not do evil when you are not using it..
LG Nexus 5 (D821) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted (by bigxie), Xposed Framework (by rovo89, Tungstwenty)

LG Nexus 4 (E960) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
ASUS Nexus 7 (ME370T) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
Sony Xperia S (LT26i) : Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) rooted, DooMKernel (by DooMLoRD)
Huawei IDEOS X5 (U8800H) : Aurora ICS 5.0u21 (by dzo)

==================================================

[INFO] Disable OTA update notification

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
I use it. It causes zero issues whatsoever and my battery life on both my devices is phenomenal. It definitely works, because the moment I disable it all those stupid free games like to start running in the background on their own. Greenify prevents that from happening. Now whether it truly increases my battery life by a wide margin I cannot say, but I like knowing that nothing runs on my phone without my say so, and I have greenify to thank for that.
\m/(-_-)\m/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jd1639
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
I use it. It causes zero issues whatsoever and my battery life on both my devices is phenomenal. It definitely works, because the moment I disable it all those stupid free games like to start running in the background on their own. Greenify prevents that from happening. Now whether it truly increases my battery life by a wide margin I cannot say, but I like knowing that nothing runs on my phone without my say so, and I have greenify to thank for that.
Shouldn't have all those stupid free games. You get what you pay for i guess

BirchBarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamelton View Post
so that the particular app does not do evil when you are not using it..
I prefer not to install apps that "do evil" on my phone in the first place.

_MetalHead_
Old
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Shouldn't have all those stupid free games. You get what you pay for i guess
I do not disagree with you.
\m/(-_-)\m/
The Following User Says Thank You to _MetalHead_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iamelton
Old
(Last edited by iamelton; 24th January 2014 at 02:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 294
maybe not everybody defines "evil" in the same way..

i dunno why Titanium Backup Pro, MX Player, SuperBeam, Box and Mi File Explorer need to monitor my network and get invoked when network mode changes..
i dunno why Titanium Backup Pro, F-Droid and Snap Camera need to monitor if i install/uninstall other apps..
(maybe i know why, but i just dont need them to do such kind of "automated" work, i just need them when i run them..)

these are all "useful" and "good" apps when they are running (when i execute them of course)..
so i dunno if i can just not having them in my phone..

not to mention those google apps running in the background from the moment i boot up my phone.. actually in my nexus 5 the battery consumption is controlled quite well by kitkat, so i just dont bother to play around with those google apps yet..
LG Nexus 5 (D821) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted (by bigxie), Xposed Framework (by rovo89, Tungstwenty)

LG Nexus 4 (E960) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
ASUS Nexus 7 (ME370T) : KitKat 4.4.2 (KOT49H) rooted
Sony Xperia S (LT26i) : Jelly Bean 4.1.2 (6.2.B.1.96) rooted, DooMKernel (by DooMLoRD)
Huawei IDEOS X5 (U8800H) : Aurora ICS 5.0u21 (by dzo)

==================================================

[INFO] Disable OTA update notification