Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Greg spot when taking picture

OP PsychDrummer

24th April 2014, 05:53 PM   |  #21  
evemir's Avatar
Member
Flag Czestochowa
Thanks Meter: 19
 
93 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
This is no software related!
OMG, really?
This is dust. It happens. You are keeping your phone in tour pockets, on chairs everywhere. So there is and there will always be a chance that you end up with dust under the lens...
24th April 2014, 06:02 PM   |  #22  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 213
 
1,037 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootSU

I still stand by my theory. Actually I've just discovered the new camera no longer does 16:9. The old camera did 2mpix widescreen (16:9) so I assumed that the 1.9 mpix was the same which would cut the right and left edges off the sensor like the video does. Obviously because it's using 4:3 unlike video, it didn't prove my point and looked to disprove it but actually it doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, Snapchat takes photos in 16:9 to match the display aspect ratio. Video is recorded in 16:9. Photos in the camera app are taken in 4:3. This is probably the link here. Some of the other camera apps in the Play Store may allow you to take pictures in 16:9 resolutions still.

Personally I would call Google back and say that you need the camera to be working properly and you'd be happy to do troubleshooting steps (like a factory reset) to narrow down the issue but not wait for an update.
The Following User Says Thank You to raptir For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 06:44 PM   |  #23  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,793
 
24,958 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer

So, I'm not sure if this new finding supports your theory. But I went into the camera app info and was able to uninstall the update to bring back to the old camera. In the view finder the spot was gone but it still appeared in pictures. For the video though, it doesn't even appear when watching the recording. So I guess it cuts it off? Regardless I'm just going to factory reset and if its still there (which I think you're right and it will be) I'm calling back and asking for RMA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

The View finder was always off on the old version anyway. What about the 2 mpix 16:9
Option in the old cam?




Quote:
Originally Posted by raptir

Yeah, Snapchat takes photos in 16:9 to match the display aspect ratio. Video is recorded in 16:9. Photos in the camera app are taken in 4:3. This is probably the link here. Some of the other camera apps in the Play Store may allow you to take pictures in 16:9 resolutions still.

Yeah I tried them all pretty much looking for anything that could handle 16:9 above 2mpx.

Settled on pro capture but obviously is not free.


Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
24th April 2014, 07:18 PM   |  #24  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
703 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up just doing a factory reset this morning to rule out it being software related. The spot was still there. I called up Google again and they're sending me a replacement.
24th April 2014, 07:28 PM   |  #25  
jsgraphicart's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,539
 
5,184 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up just doing a factory reset this morning to rule out it being software related. The spot was still there. I called up Google again and they're sending me a replacement.

Get a can of air, blow the air around the edge of the camera and hope the air gets in there enough to get rid of that dust.
28th April 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #26  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 111
 
703 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
So, the new phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Today the phone fell off my mount in the car. There was no damage or anything but I noticed later today that the spot was gone. Not sure if the dust got moved when the phone fell. I don't know what to do now though. If I just send back the old phone, when they go through the troubleshooting at Google they're not going to find the problem, so I think I should let them know that the problem was resolved. However, at the same time if the dust spot just got moved, while it's not visible now it can just as easily come back since it's still under the glass. Any ideas?
28th April 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 328
 
1,283 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinisloco

I'm having the same issue, what gives?

Lol Greg spot

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
28th April 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #28  
rootSU's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 13,793
 
24,958 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDrummer

So, the new phone is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Today the phone fell off my mount in the car. There was no damage or anything but I noticed later today that the spot was gone. Not sure if the dust got moved when the phone fell. I don't know what to do now though. If I just send back the old phone, when they go through the troubleshooting at Google they're not going to find the problem, so I think I should let them know that the problem was resolved. However, at the same time if the dust spot just got moved, while it's not visible now it can just as easily come back since it's still under the glass. Any ideas?

Ask their advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to rootSU For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes